How can I connect my iPod Touch to iTunes after a fresh installation without losing anything on it?

Megan May 2, 2011

I recently re-installed my Windows XP due to the fact that my computer wouldn’t work. I lost everything on it. I’d like to know if there is a way I can connect my iPod to iTunes without losing all my pics, music, apps. There’s over 500 songs on it and 200 pictures that is need. Someone please help!

1. Mz Angle

o well

2. Saptashwa

CopyTrans should be able to do it. I also know a software called "Fill up my PC", but I can't find it.

Footnote - If some people read this, then my request is - Please learn at least the HTML tag as it is neater than giving the full site. And use it in comments and other things. I can't give the proper syntax here though as it is taking it to be a link.

• Roy

You mean like this? External link

• Saptashwa

Yup. Looks neater, doesn't it?

• Roy

Perhaps the point was missed there.

And I suppose that is one opinion. But when I'm clicking on links in comments, I don't know the people who are posting them. I know enough to hover on the links and let me browser display the url, but some people might not. Thus, they might be a little less apt to trust a link in a comment from a stranger than a link from the author of an article on a reputable site.

After all, for those who aren't aware that they should hover over a link before clicking it, how do they know a link that simply says, This MUO Article isn't a fake that will send them to my personal website so I can try to get some advertising revenue?

Sometimes it's OK to look a little less neat (in the opinions of some) in order to let people know exactly what they're clicking on. Those times would especially include when you're a complete stranger posting comments in a thread like this.

• Claire Curtis

I concur with what Roy is saying. Besides the trust issue, there is also the matter of those who want to print out the Q&A. If the tech question involves rebooting your computer, that's often the best way to follow the directions. For printing, you want the full URL incase you have to enter it manually. The inelegance a small price to pay for the convenience (and, as Roy said, the safety.)

3. Roy

The short answer is, you may not be able to connect to iTunes without losing your data. However, you can use an alternative program to save all your songs and pictures first. There are some good recommendations in this MUO article for iTunes alternatives:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/50-free-tools-to-make-your-ipod-better-and/

The problem is, I don't know that any of these programs will work for managing apps, so you'll probably still have to wipe the iPod.

After you've saved all the files you can, install iTunes and let it reformat your iPod. You shouldn't actually lose the apps, since I'm sure they're connected to your Apple/iTunes account. You will have to reinstall them though.