How can you connect an iPod Touch to the internet using a phone’s 3G signal?
Question by Karl Graham /

• Alejannb

To share internet between iPhone and other devices is ver easy. You should enter into the Settings in your iPhone, go to General, then to Network, and finally Internet Tethering. This should be turn on and that’s all. Now you can share your iPhone’s 3G or WiFi network to other devices like iPad or iPod via Bluetooth, or to your Mac or PC via USB cable as well. Of course you need to have the latest version of iOS.

• Awesomeness

Now, the latest iOS software allows you to tether and share your 3G internet, but will cost you data charges from your service provider. Tethering allows you to create a wireless hotspot. Some other phones allow this too, but mostly it depends on your service provider. Also, be careful to check the cost.

• hagfish

A more cumbersome way would be:
    – share your phone’s connection via bluetooth. My cheap Nokia Fold can do this, so I expect most phones can.
    – have your laptop (works on my Macbook) connect to the Internet via your phone’s bluetooth connection.
    – tell your laptop to share its Internet connection via Wifi.
    – connect your iPod Touch to your laptop’s shared Wifi connection.

Ideally your iPod would be able to connect directly to your phone’s bluetooth signal, but then no one would buy iPhones.

• Cathy

Actually it depends on your phone, iPhone to iPad isn’t as easy as other brand phone to iPad, guess it’s the same for iPod.
    I have a Samsung Wave that I can successfully tether to my iPad. My iPhone 3GS I cant thether to the ipad even though my network allow it’s. Mind you I can tenter my iPhone to Llow use of the wifi by other devices,eg my HP net book. :)
    Weird or clever marketing ploy by Apple to encourage people to buy the non wifi only iPad.

• Kerry

No. You have to jailbreak your FONE to get the ability to “Hotspot”. I have a IPHone 3Gs with AT&T. I set up with AT&T my tethering data fee plan. Gotta download Apple’s new software 4.0 something which allows tethering on both IPod Touch and IPadI. I would imagine its similar. On your touch, go to settings>general and you should see personal hotspot. Turn it on. If you don’t see Hotspot go to Bluetooth and turn it on. On t IPad to blue tooth and turn on. Go to I pad settings>general>Turn on Bluetooth on. If I were u I’d call apple and make sure your I Pod Touch is compatible w the new software program that was newly released. Also, they’ll walk ya through it. Good luck.

Were you able to connect your iPod Touch to the internet? Didi you try steps recommended by Mike. Let us know.

You will have to turn your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot and connect to the created network on your iPod Touch

If I remember correctly ~ with an Verizon iPhone this should work by default (using iOS) as soon as you pay a fee to Verizon.

For all other iPhones you have to jailbreak it and install a software like MyFi

The only alternative is to wait for the next iOS update which is said to introduce WiFi Hotspot functionality.