Why can I not connect to the internet in Ubuntu?

CHANDRA SEKHAR July 10, 2010

I m using both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.1 OS in my SONY VAIO [VPCEB12EN] laptop. I’m trying to access internet, but I failed to do this in Linux.
Can you suggest a good solution?

1. Linuxyogibaba
  2. Taty

Chandra, Jessica's reply is probably the correct one. You probably don't have the drivers for your cards. Are you connecting via wireless or wired connections? There seems to be more variety of wifi cards, so try connecting via cable and see if it works and that way you can pinpoint the problem.

• chandra sekhar

Thank Q 4 giving me the solution. But I want to make u clear that I m trying to connect internet via "3G USB MODEM" & I can connect internet in Windows.

3. Jessica Cam W.

Were you able to install the restricted drivers first? Usually after you log on in Ubuntu, you'll get a notification about available restricted drivers (greenish icon) in the top panel for your new Linux system to work properly with your laptop hardware before you can connect to the internet.