Can you connect to the internet with a router from another internet provider?

A fan July 17, 2010

Let’s say I’m a customer of the internet operator A but I have a router from the internet operator B. Can I connect to the internet with the router of the operator B using my login of operator A?

Unfortunately, I don’t know the router characteristics.

Thank you!

To find out your router's address, look at your ethernet connection's TCP/IP properties (either via the network control panel, or by opening a command line and typing IPCONFIG). The 'Default Gateway' is the router's address.
    If you need to find out the username (usually admin) and password of the router (often admin but just as often not), search the internet for a manual for the make model of your router and find the answer there. Given that the router was supplied by an ISP, it's also possible that you'll find a label on the underside of the router with the password (my router has one).

Unless and until there's some kind of hardware mechanism built into the router that prevents you from connecting to some other provider's network, there should be no problems in you doing so. Just make sure you have the router settings page configured correctly. Normally, this would be 192.168.1.1

It depends on the router, but I would say yes. All you have to do is plug it in, enter your username, password and any other settings and see if it works. But it should, unless they put some sort of lock on it.

Also, don't get confused with Modem and Router

4. ukubuntu

Normally you can use most routers for most internet providers, but you need to be able to access the router configuration. if you know the name of the router you can often find an online manual about how to access the configuration. Generally you would access it through an internet browser by entering the the ip address into your browser address bar so for instance my netgear router needs http://192.168.0.1/ to login. You will then probable get asked a username and password. If you do not have these, you may be able to reset this by pressing a reset button. Then often admin and password is enough to get in, but check the manual.

once into the configuration you will need to change service provider details. Sometimes there are guides or you must change specific settings manually. If you enter the details correctly your router should be able to connect but if not you may need to check the details with your provider.