How do I connect an independent modem to the wireless router I bought?

Mike Walsh August 21, 2012

I have just purchased a TP-LINK TL-WR1043 Wireless-N Gigabit router only to discover it is not a modem as well. How can I connect a modem and which one should I use?

1. Joel Alar

I guess you are still using a dial up connection, and you want to interface it using your router.

2. venkatp16

i don't understand your requirement. why do you need a modem ?

3. Oron

Any DSL modem would do, as long as it is compatible with your provider's version of ADSL (e.g. ADSL+, ADSL 2 etrc). The make of the modem will make little difference as the chips are actually made by a handful of companies and are of equal quality.

4. Wouter Ruelens

You might need to select the way you're connecting to the internet while setting up your router.
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR1043ND#down
    just read the quick installation guide under document.

5. Karl Keith

This really depends on how you get your internet. Typically your cable or telephone company will provide you with the modem as part of your internet service. Just connect it up to your router with an ethernet (RJ45) cable.

6. Kaashif Haja

Connect your DSL line to your modem.
    Connect your modem and router(Internet Socket) through RJ45 cable.
    Connect your router(Ethernet socket) and your computer through another RJ45 cable.
    That's it. Piece of a cake, ain't it?

What broadband modem have you been using in the past? You just need to connect your cable/dsl modem to the WAN port on the router.