How do I connect my HP1020 to my LinuxMint computer?

Tom-bricemo April 26, 2014

I can’t connect my HP1020 to my computer.  I am unable to install: autodetectpkg.exe, FDM37inst.exe, device-driver.exe & hpdrivers.exe.  All of these are in my ‘Downloads’ folder but when I click on each of these icons, expecting these will install . . . (I forget what…)
While I know I’m connected to my wired network (charter), do I need to ‘tell’ my LinuxMint Maya something to open and install?
(Oh, and thanks for your helpful ans. a few weeks ago. You folks are the greatest!!!)

As Bruce points out, you can't use the files you downloaded as they've been written for WIndows. The link Hovsep provided will allow you to download drivers for Linux.

Unfortunately, the HP LaserJet 1020 uses host-based printing rather than a standard printing language, so CUPS is unlikely to work (though you can try, and if this printer is specifically listed then you're in luck!).

• Bruce E

You're right - I forgot about the lack of PCL/PS support on this one. Although HPLIP works with this printer, so you can still use it with Mint. The automatic installer will do all of the heavy lifting.

All of the files you listed are Windows executables. They are not to be used on a Linux system. To get the printer to work, you just need to plug it into the computer, power it on and make sure that CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) is installed on your computer. You can check to see if you have CUPS installed by searching through Synaptic or by opening a terminal and typing 'dpkg --get-selections | grep cups' and pressing Enter. If you get a list of packages including the word 'cups' followed by the word 'install', then it is already there. If it isn't, then type 'sudo apt-get install cups' and press Enter. Type your password at the prompt and it will install the printing subsystem for you. You should then be able to use the printer.