How can I connect dual monitors using DVI-D and VGA to my computer?
Question by Cissy /

I have a connection for a DVI-D and VGA on my computer. I am trying to connect dual monitors.

I can connect either monitor using the DVI-D cable. So that tells me that both monitors are working and can connect to the computer via DVI-D.

When I try using the VGA cable (with either monitor) I get the screen message there is no signal coming from the computer. I have tried two different VGA cables. So it seems to me that the VGA port (or card not sure of the proper terminology) is not working.

The computer is only a year old. Do I need to download a driver or something?

• Elijah Swartz

On the monitors, you may need to toggle the source button. VGA is analog. Your monitors may be defaulting to just digital which is what DVI uses. Try toggling the source and see if it recognizes the monitor.

Another thing to try would be to turn off your computer, plug in the VGA cable into the monitor and computer, and turn on the computer. See if it detects something.

One you have the VGA issue handled. Plug in the other cable into the computer and other monitor. You mentioned that the computer is only a year old, so I assume it has Windows 7 on it. Right click on your desktop and click screen resolution. Click detect to have Windows look for a connected screen, identify to see which screen is which in Windows. After clicking Detect, another screen should be detected. If not click that box anyways. It will say “Another display not detected.” From there under Multiple displays, select the, “Try to connect anyways on: VGA,” option. If your computer has a discrete videocard (the ports are not on your motherboard), you can download the latest drivers from Nvidia or AMD. You can perform the above acts and more from within their software. After installing the software, you can access it by right clicking on your desktop background and selecting either Nvidia Control Panel or AMD/ATI Catalyst Control Center.

Best of luck.  

• chillywillie

Thanks dude, that worked. I asked my brother, and despite being a computer wiz he told me to figure it out myself. lol Thanks though dude, they both work now.

• Tom Neal

Elijah is the man! ;-)

• timqu

How do i do detect monitors in vista? :S

Hello, Is this an integrated or discreet video card?  What is the brand and model for your graphics card?  Did you get a CD for software when you got your monitors?  Usually specific drivers/software for them are located there.  If you do not have the CD anymore, you could try visiting the manufacturer’s site and see if you could get any info/drivers there. 

Having said that, if none of the monitors work when you connect them through VGA, there is something going on with your VGA port.  Especially after you have tried two different cables.  Have you checked device manager?  Does it show any conflict in your graphics card? 

Dual monitor setup: Two monitors are better than one
    How to Connect Two DVI Monitors to One PC

Maybe on the Bios you have to specify which is the primary monitor? so that when boots choose the right one.

If it’s VGA, just connect it to the VGA port on the card

DVI-D is digital and you’ll need a converter that will do analog to digital conversion and turn the VGA signal into DVI signal.
    If the monitor has DVI-A, then you you’ll need to get a VGA to DVI-A converter

Have you tried looking through the monitors On Screen Display? Maybe it uses separate “inputs” for each connection type.