How can I connect a dot matrix printer with a laptop?

Nikhil Gupta October 9, 2012

I want to connect a dot matrix printer with my laptop. Parallel ports are used in dot printers. So parallel to USB port could be used to connect printer.

1. dhanunjayarao chunduri

yes you can use the usb to parallel port converter.

The question is marked as Resolved, it is intressing to know where did you get Dot Matrix printer and how did you resolve this?

• Kannon Y

Hey Alan, I can't speak for the original poster, but a common method of fixing this issue is to use a converter (as Todd F. suggested). However, I would imagine that drivers might prove to be problematic, although perhaps not?

Dot matrix printers are still in high demand as a means of printing out receipts at small businesses - primarily because thermals are somewhat expensive and not as reliable as a dot-matrix (you were probably already aware of this).

I knew a fellow who put down $200 on a used dot-matrix - he claimed it was a much better deal than the alternatives (a brand new dot-matrix cost quite a bit more).

3. Todd F.

At my office I've either used a USB to parallel cable or a PocketPro 100 device. The pocket pro 100 is a parallel to nic adapter that you could convert it to a network device and then print to it by IP. Not the easiest or cleanest method but it worked in my office.