How can I connect my Disqus account with the Facebook or Google login system at MakeUseOf?

Tilman Bauer February 26, 2012

I used to be really active on the MakeUseOf Answers site, but then I kind of had a longer break – and now I am back! To my big (and honestly not so pleasant) surprise, I am not able to ask and answer questions here anymore the way it used to be possible, i.e. with a Disqus account! MakeUseOf now requires everyone to login with Facebook, Google, or one of the other systems, but Disqus is NOT supported anymore as a login method. :(

My question is: Is there a way to connect (or import) my old Disqus account – which shows the number of posts I have written on the MakeUseOf Answers site – with this Facebook account that I am logged into right now? If it would be possible, I would have all my posts in one place (on the Disqus account page), so I really would like to continue using Disqus. How can I do it?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Tilman

P.S. Nice to be back =)

1. Ch?p Cánh ??c M?

post thank you much, very good article I need it Thanks for the post. I appreciate the info on blog comments and will surely start looking out for people who are using automated programmes for making blog comment posts. http://www.friv2.org

2. candeobarun

testing the site...

3. Maxi Dresses

4. Escorte de Lux

Nice way to import Disqus comments. Thanks for sharing buddy!!

5. Facebook Applications

Its pretty easy just google it and you'll find the answer LOL :p

(kidding)

As Nayak says, you can still log in perfectly well with your Disqus account. If you're unable to see the Disqus system or Disqus login button, it may be that you're blocking Javascript. 

Currently, there is no requirement to login via social. Howeverm you should be aware that we're having a lot of problems with Disqus, and are very close to removing it altogether - at which point, yes, login in via social options will be the only choice, and all Disqus connections will be removed. 

• Tilman

@muo_jamesbruce:disqus, what will happen to the "reputation" I have built up using Disqus at MUO after Disqus will be removed?
      @13jay:disqus and @nayak22h:disqus thanks for your answers! :)

I'm afraid it will vanish. However, it has already been replaced by another point system, which will actually be meaningful on MakeUseOf. Earning points using this system will create benefits, such as being able to enter contests and other perks.

• Tilman

Hi Tina! :) What about transferring the "reputation" from Disqus to the new point system? Would that be feasible?

No, there is no way to transfer that. 

7. Jay.0

1) If the email of your facebook account and disqus account is the same, you can combine the comments.

Did you use the same email?

Last time, a similar question was asked, and disqus support was ready to support anyone with this question.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/combine-disqus-account-login-system-makeuseof/#comment-395619025

2) And you can still use disqus login, once you logout from the new facebook etc based login system.

And - you are not able to ask question without the social login at the moment,
    but you can certainly comment like you were able to do it before,
    using disqus, once you logout from the faceook based login.

• custom facebook applications

Really awesome and informative answer, well done.

8. Karkala Nayak

Hello Tilman,

Just below your question descripton and above the big Heading "Add New Comment", there is a Disqus Bar.
    There is also a Login button

Click on the login button 
    A popup will open then login with your Disqus account or your Facebook Or your any other account as they state.

That's It..

There is another way

First In google chrome

open disqus.com
    Login with your Id
    Open another Tab and load makeuseof.com
    you will be automatically loggedin in makeuseof

so you will be able to comment with your disqus account

I have attached a picture check it out to find the disqus bar below your question where the login button is.
    http://i41.tinypic.com/eb39sy.jpg

I hope it helped
    :)