How can I connect to my daughter’s computer?

jonathan crabtree August 23, 2011

How do I use remote access services such as SSH and RDP across the internet to maintain my daughters computer? Problem seems to be compounded as the IP addresses dished out by our ISPs are dynamically allocated and wouldn’t be routed across the Internet as they are RFC 1918 compliant addresses. HELP please?

Jonathan, I think you might be confusing your home network IP (which is liek 192.168.x.x and given out by your router) with your public IP addresses. If you go to http://www.whatismyipaddress.com , you'll be able to find your ACTUAL public routable IP - though you'll still need to setup your router to forward certain ports if youre looking to use some kind of remote access tool. 

To avoid all that hassle, as Jeffery said Teamviewer is definitely the easiest way to go,, and free!

Hi Jonathan,

You could always use no-ip, which will allow you to map a dynamic IP Address to a link. 

Otherwise, I would use an application such as TeamViewer which you and your daughter have an ID and password. To connect to her you enter her ID and password and you'll connect. (Same if she wants to connect to you)