Why can I not connect my computers using a LAN cable?

Abhinav Chauhan August 25, 2011

I have a laptop and a desktop. When I connect these systems by a LAN wire it gives error: you don’t have permission to access \\pc name\name of shared drive.

Abhinav,

were you able to connect your computers following the advice above? Please let us know. Thank you!

The account on the computer have the the option user must change password on next logon(

control pannel / administration tools / local user and groups / user / select user )

Uncheck and check password never expire

1.) In Windows Explorer, from the tools menu, select "Map Network Drive...".2.) Select an appropriate drive letter and enter the path to the shared resource (\machineshare).3.) And here's the trick... Click on "Connect using a different user name.4.) You'll notice that the Connect As... dialogue indicates the default username that will be used - probably the same name as your user folder under Documents and Settings. Enter the correct username and password for this shared resource and you should be networking happily.

Hi Abhinav,

Could you please view the article
    Troubleshooting Windows File and Printer Sharing
    (About.com) and tell me if that works? I find the problem with Windows Shares is usually either a firewall obstructing it or someone didn't grant the permissions properly.

1.) Make sure media sharing is enabled on both computers
    Go to start -> Control panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change Advanced Sharing Settings (top left) -> Enable "Network Discovery", "File and Printer Sharing", "Public Folder Sharing" and "Media Streaming" (click the link under Media Streaming) for both systems. 

2.) Add a predetermined share.
    Go to the directory you want to share (such as C:UsersAbhinav) and right click on the folder name, choose "properties". Go to "Sharing" and click the button "Share". A dialog box will popup, in the drop down menu chose "Everyone" and click "Add", then select "Share". A reboot is required.

3.) Be sure that "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing For Microsoft Networks" is enabled on both computers.
    Go to start -> Control panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change Adapter Settings -> Right click on the adapter you're currently using and choose "Properties". Are those protocols listed there? If not chose "Install" and install them.

Helpful Links:
    File sharing essentials (Microsoft)
    How to use the Simple File Sharing feature to share files in Windows XP
    (Microsoft)