How can I connect my computer to dual monitors?
Question by shay /

I have an HP desktop and Dell monitors. I can’t remember how to set up my dual screens. I got a new video card and the connection only has an HDMI, VGI and Digital Video (DVI?).

I’m curious if I need an adapter for my monitors. I have a ‘blue’ and ‘white’ cord. I’m assuming the white is the DVI. But where do I put the blue cord in? And how does the second monitor get connected?

I’m obviously computer illiterate. So if anyone can talk how A+B=C, that would be helpful.

Easiest way is to get a DVI to VGA connector.  Once you have the connector, plug it in the DVI slot on your graphics card.  Connect one monitor to the VGA Slot and the other monitor to the DVI to VGA connector.  Once you have both monitors connected, turn on your computer and open the properties to pick the main monitor.

If you only want to clone the image onto two monitors, all you need is a VGA splitter.If you want to drive two monitors independently (be able to display different things on each screen),  You need a new video card.

dvi to vga adapter, connect both monitors and u are good to go
    The easiest way is by installing a graphics card with two monitor connector.Almost all new cards today come with two DVI ports, or one DVI port and one VGA port, and some provide a DVI-to-VGA adapter in the box.. If, when booting up, you notice that your computer is displaying the same image on both monitors, then you’ve done everything right.

Once your second monitor is connected, you need to instruct Windows how to recognize it. If your computer is running Windows Vista/7, right-click on the desktop, then click on Display Settings in the “Personalize appearance and sound”Use the slider to adjust the second screen’s resolution. Under most circumstances, having each monitor set to its native resolution will minimize disorientation when moving or looking from one to another.

• Michael Sledge

by VGI do you mean VGA? if so the blue cord will probably be for that. Your monitors will probably have VGA ports, but if they don’t you will need an adapter for one of them, the same applies for the DVI.

I have a similar graphics card with two monitors, one on the white DVI and one on the blue VGA. I don’t have an adapter because the monitors can use either type.

Hope this helps