How can I connect Bluetooth stereo headphones to pick up sound of apps that are already running?

Melvyn July 7, 2010

I have some Bluetooth headphones, which I use with my ThinkPad X200. When paired I can open (for example) iTunes and listen to audio files with no problems. If however I pair them when an app is already running, I get no audio until I restart the application.

Is there a way to let apps switch between audio outputs when they’re already running?

This is an issue for me with BSPlayer, Firefox (think embedded videos and YouTube), and iTunes.

1. Josh Fox

I think the problem here is that when applications open, they lock into the first default sound device and most programs can't switch devices after they have started. The only program that I've found for Windows that will allow this is VLC.

It would work by plugging regular headphones into the headphone jack because that is still the same device and the plug overrides the connection between the sound card and the speakers or speaker output jack, whichever the case may be. Your Bluetooth set is a completely different device all together and doesn't have that override option.