How can I connect to a 3G mobile broadband dongle in HP QuickWeb?

dogrough May 15, 2010

I have a HP mini 210 with Quick Web installed. It’s really useful to get on the web via WiFi quickly, but how do I get it to connect to my mobile broadband dongle when there is no WiFi in range? Thanks!

1. Cazz10

For two days I have been trying to access the web etc with my mobile broadband usb through quickweb and I am tearing my hair out. Please help!!!

2. Daniel Shane

Well, if you were running a linux system, I would be able to assist, but since I have no idea of which operating system is in use, I can only generalize.
    Did your "3G" modem come with any "connection manager" software?
    Most likely, yes... In which case we need to know exactly which device is in use, and as such, my experience is with linux, where a simple terminal command of "lsusb" will display the device information when connected to a USB port. From there we need to know which firmware is pertinent to your device, as some devices have proprietary firmware which will have to be located, either on your existing system, or downloaded from the vendor site.
    After that, you may need some sort of firmware loader application to handle the initialization of the modem in order to allow the firmware to be loaded to the modem.
    Again, the firmware loader is most likely a proprietary application, so you'll either need to locate one for your device, or obtain said app from the device vendor, 3rd party developer, or your ISP.

Some of these WWAN modems have multiple ports, of which some will be for loading the firmware, while another will be activated once the modem has been initialized, thus allowing the device to communicate with your system.
    Some of these WWAN [3g] modems appear to the system in an uninitialized state where the device is recognized as a USB Mass Storage device due to the firmware not being loaded to the modem.
    What is needed is a way to load the firmware [drivers] to the modem device in order for the modem to begin communicating with your system.
    Until I know exactly which device you're working with, I can make no more assumptions, but these previously mentioned particulars are common to several "3G" modems.
    Once again, without further information, I am only able to generalize, so until I have the exact VendorID & ProductID of the device in question, there's not much more I can help you with.
    Rest assured that I have gone through the same issue, and in fact, have spent months working at this same issue until I learned how to get my own WWAN [3g] modem online outside of Windoze.
    [I hate Windoze - so I never use it]
    I wish you luck in your quest, and will be willing to help as long as you have all the pertinent information for your modem device.
    Aloha, & GOD Bless!

Daniel,

HP QuickWeb, aka SplashTop, is an operating system of its own. It is usually installed from a Windows environment, but then boots before Windows does. It's not possible to install software or drivers within SplashTop / QuickWeb.

However, I'm not sure which drivers this cloud-focused operating system can access from the Windows installation.

Hey Peter,

Thanks for heads up we are either going to repost this as anew question or feature it in the upcoming 'toughest questions' round up. In both cases we should see some working solutions.

4. Peter B

Same problem here. Has anyone found anything yet?

5. sarah

i have same problem too anyone found a solution yet

I have exactly the same HP and exactly the same problem. Nope, nothing in preferences. It works fine through Windows... No info through Bigpond or through HP about this one.

I don't have HP mini but I suspect there must be an option to choose which internet connection to use. Try to dig into the preferences.