Confusion With Windows 7 Libraries

Tim February 21, 2010

How can I ignore the Windows 7 Libraries and use folders as I did in XP. I created a new folder called Sound Files, but Windows 7 will only let me drag them anywhere EXCEPT to the new folder I created. I want to be able to create a folder in Libraries or wherever, and be able to move my selected files to that designated folder. Why would this become so difficult? It will let me drag my .wav files to the pictures folder, Documents folder, but no my Sound Files folder. It prompts me to include a folder, but there is no folder I want to include.

1. Fred

Where is this comment from Carol that explains how to disable libraries? I don't see it anywhere.

2. doitmyself

My thanks to "differentperspective" regarding "Can I disable "Libraries in Windows 7?" He noted that in "comments", there was a link from "Carol" on how to disable Libraries. The question was asked and answered in about 1 hour. Fantastic!!

Thanks again to differentperspective and makeuseof.com!
    doitmyself

Glad to hear you've had a positive experience with MakeUseOf Answers!

If you want to understand a little better how libraries work, I've posted an article on the subject. If you just want to get rid of them, then one of the comments, from Carole, contains a link to get rid of them. Your call.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-7-libraries-%E2%80%93-and-why-you-want-them/

• Tim

I see what your saying, but I don't care for it. Especially until I get all three of the computers in my home-office on Windows 7 (which I dread) so I can share between them. I haven't found anyone who can do that yet without annoying problems, including an IT Professional.