How do I configure a bridge connection on my 2wire HomePortal router?

Natalia Okinawa March 8, 2012

Here is my current equipment:

Wi-Fi internet card
Netgear router set as a repeater (configuration of Netgear will not be changed)
2Wire HomePortal 1800HW router

I would like to use my 2wire as a bridge to connect to my Wi-Fi internet card. I will be setting  this up on my laptop. We currently have our Netgear wirelessly set up as a repeater to help carry the signal across the house (but it’s not all that great sometimes, which is why I want to try a bridge with my 2wire).

I need the full dummies guide style of how to set it up. I have tried to follow instructions on how change the 2wire from routing to bridge and was left right there with no guidance as what to do next to actually make it work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I understand this correctly, you are missing at least two devices.

If the Netgear is set as a wireless repeater, there must be some primary Access Point device where all the wireless packets are sent to and from.

If this primary device is your 2wire router, you cannot set it up as a bridge device because the Netgear couldn't act as a repeater then.

Also as the name suggests a bridge is used to connect two distant network segments in order to create a single network. This means you need one wireless bridging device on each end! 
    Otherwise you can only set up the 2wire router in "wireless client mode".

You probably aren't running DD-WRT but I think their Wiki is the best place to start for you to find out what you actually want or need to setup:
    Linking Routers
    Image: Wireless Bridge which is used to connect two wired segments wireless

• Natalia Okinawa

Thanks for responding Mike!

To clarify, by wifi card I meant a mobile/hotspot internet device. That is our primary device. The repeater is set up to pick up the signal from the mobile card. The repeater is running DD-WRT.

As for the 2wire (not running), it's a router that we have unused at the moment. If possible, I would like to use the 2wire router in another room, attached to a computer, to pick up the internet signal being sent if all possible.

Basically, where we are at, all the walls are cement and the internet signal will not carry across the house well (and our mobile internet card has to be at one end of the house near a window). I just want to get a good signal to all the rooms. I do not know if that adds to or changes the answer you gave me. 

Thanks for the souce links, I will read a bit into them

Thanks for clarifying.

Well, if possible I would configure the 2wire router as a simple Access Point and make use of Roaming Access.

The DD-WRT wiki covers this pretty good. The 2wire router may have options at different places or different names but the configuration required should be the same.

It's probably the best option because you shouldn't have to make any changes to the DD-WRT repeater and you won't be creating a secondary wireless network.

//EDIT

I forgot, if you only want the second router to connect wired devices to the existing wireless network the "correct" setup would be Client Mode.
        As described in the linked article the wired clients behind the router have to be on a different subnet than the original WiFi!