How can I connect my laptop to my old Sony TV?
Question by Harry Williams /

I have an old Sony digital TV. I’ve tried to connect my laptop to my TVA using RCA composite cables into the front of the TV with a VGA converter. However, the TV does not seem to accept the input. I’ve also tried S-video with the same results. An then I tried RCA / S-Video to SCART on the back my TV – still nothing. What am I missing?

• DalSan Mack

Something else to check for is if the video is set to video out on the computer.
    Click on where it says “What you’ll need if you have a standard-definition TV” to help you out with connecting to your tv.
    This might give you more information to go by to troubleshoot.

Hello, have you made sure to change the input in the setup of your TV? Make sure to turn your TV off and then try connecting the RCA cables to both computer and TV. Once that is done, turn the TV on and enter the setup for TV. Change the input to RCA and see what happens. The same thing should work depending on the cables you are using. Keep in mind that you have to choose the right input, if you are using the RCA connection in the front of TV, it should usually be RCA input 1. If you are using the back ports, it should be the RCA option.

Keep in mind that if you use a S-video cable, you will need a separate cable for sound. S-video only transmits video signal.

• Dalsan

One thing that you should try is changing the resolution size of the screen to 640×480 and see if that works. Most times the screen resolution on your computer needs to match your tv resolution to get video. VGA to s-video sometimes works better for some.