How can I get my computer to work after installing a new hard drive?
Question by Debbie Frye /

I put a new hard drive in my computer. I ran the recovery disc, but I still can’t get anything to come up. Not even a start menu to go to. Only a blank screen. I’ve tried everything I know to do. What should I do?

Hello, You will not be able to use your recovery disk on a new hard drive.  The reason for this is that your recovery disk works with the recovery partition installed by the manufacturer.  The recovery disk does not hold all the info you need, it has to access the recovery partition.  You only have to options:  try cloning software like the one mentioned above or reformat your hard drive.  Cloning software might work for you as long as the hard drive you installed is the same size or bigger than the one you had before. 

When reformatting/installing your operating system in your new hard drive, you will need the installation disk for your operating system.  Keep in mind that when you do this you will not be able to use the same license that came with your operating system.  You have the option of calling Microsoft and see if they can provide you with a new license after you explain your situation.  The other option you might have is to send the computer back to where you bought it provided that it is still under warranty.       

• pceasies

If you are replacing the hard drive you should look into Clonezilla to make an exact clone. It will copy all partition/file information as well as setup the MBR (boot information) so you’ll be able to start what ever operating system is on it. 

Need a few more details from you here.

First, did you add or replace a drive? If you just added a new one, you may need to adjust the hard drive boot priority in the bios.

Second, what kind of recovery disk? Something that came with the computer, or a backup software disk like with HOme Server? If it was the one that came with your pc, it won’t work because it’s looking for the recovery data on your hard disk hidden partition, which is either not there because you replaced it, or moved because you added another.

Clarify those and I can follow up with more specific help. Good luck!

Need a few more details from you here.