Why does my computer always update when I shut it down?
Question by Jordan /

Whenever I shut down my computer it always loads updates. This has never happened before, what is happening? Should I be worried? I am using an HP G50 laptop with Windows Vista.

• teks emily

i have the same problem, really troubles me a lot. I tried many ways, but still failed.

• KamilKozyra

I believe Vista is the same as 7, but go to Start, Control Panel, Windows Update and on the left side click Change Settings.  There you can change the drop=down list to better suite your needs.

You can probably find a solution in the previously posted thread.

Why is my computer always installing updates when I shut down?

Jordan,

This is a duplicate. You have asked essentially the same question before and received many answers. Did you look through them? If the replies did not solve your question, please respond to the original question here:

on your laptop open windows update and scan for new updates, then update and reboot. Go back to windows update and rescan for update now if the list propose the same updates then something wrong with windows update on your laptop.

How do I reset Windows Update components?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter
    Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update.

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Troubleshoot-problems-with-installing-updates

In the default configuration, Automatic Updates is enabled on most Windows machines.  Every 24 hours or the first time internet connectivity is available after 24 hours, it will check to see if there are any updates that apply to your system that need to be downloaded and installed.  If there are, it will download them as soon as it can and wait until the configured time (usually 3AM) to install them.  If you are shutting down the computer before the configured install time, it will install the updates before shutting down the computer.  This entire process will normally run once per month (after Patch Tuesday) but can also occur when Microsoft releases and out-of-band (OOB) patch for a critical issue.

If this is happening every time, that would indicate that at least one update that it is trying to install is failing.  So open up Windows Update (Start -> All Programs -> Windows Update) .  On the left-hand side, select ‘View update history’ and look in the status column for ‘Failed’ updates.  Double-clicking on the entry will bring up a dialog with the details of the update and should include an error message and/or error code.  Report back here with that information and we will try to guide you through a solution to the issue.