Why won’t my computer turn on when I shut it down for a few minutes?

Khai October 18, 2011

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620. My computer wont turn on when I shut it down for a few minutes. When I press the ON button, the 3 and 4 light pattern lights up. To try and fix this, I reinstalled my RAM, but it still happened. So I then changed to 2GB of RAM, and the same problem still occurred. But the computer will turn on normally after several minutes. So I’m not sure what causes that.

1. ou8abug

Make sure your laptop has plenty of free area under at the vent input, and that it is not coated with dust,hair, or any other obstructions. If the fan is working, you should be able to feel a draft at the vent. Good luck.

2. Mjevolve

in addition to the steps recommended , 
    i would also advice you to run a Good Hard Drive Heath Status Check .

i have many a times seen , a faulty hard drive or a dying / damaged hard drive or over heating hard drive  ending up as a culprit in such cases .

bad sectors , corrupted file segments , and over heating hard drives  can be a cause .

run chkkdsk/f  and chkdsk/r  from your command prompt window .
    and also sfc/scannow .

then run the Hardriveinspector ( paid ) 
    or 
    crystaldisk info ( free )
    to see what does the program has to say about the hard drives health status .
    it would also tell you its Operating Temperatures and whether they are in normal range .

lastly you can try running the program HDD Regenerator program to see for any bad or damaged sectors on your hard drive .
    just download the free version , it would tell you of the defects if any .
    paid version is required to repair the bad sectors ..

reset your cmos battery and if you can flash BIOS

Hello, when you changed the RAM did you checked all the cables were connected properly inside your computer?  From experience I can tell you that when something like this happens is because of the power supply.  When PSUs (power supply unit) are new and working properly, they show power from the moment you pressed the Power button.  As you may be aware, PSUs have different cables that connect to the motherboard.  To connect the power button in the front, hdd led, standby led, reset led, etc, the cables are connected from the front of the tower to the front header on the motherboard.  If PSU are starting to have issues, some of the connections like the standby power led do not show any power for a few minutes.  Most times, the issues goes away after a couple of resets and/or a few minutes.  When the standby led gets all the power it needs you can turn
    off the computer and then turn it on without any issues regardless of whether you just turn it off or not. 

My advice is to check your power supply.  Maybe you power supply is starting to get problems or it could also be that the power supply does not have enough power for your system.  Is this a fairly new power supply unit?  What are the specs?  Best way to check would be to get a different power supply, install it and see if same thing happens.  It does not have a be a new one, it only has to have enough power to power up your system.