What can I do when computer doesn’t turn on after RAM upgrade?

MUO Fan March 8, 2010

I updated the RAM of my DELL XPS and now the computer won’t boot.

1. Pamela

Hi, I just installed an upgrade of 1 GB of Ram into Dimm A & B of my dell and it will not power up.  I took out the 1 GB from Dimm A & B and reinserted the old 256 and it will not power up anymore.  Can someone help me figure out what is going on.  I already checked to make sure everything was hooked up properly.

When I push the power button, the green light comes on and then 10 seconds later it just powers off again.  Please help.

Pamela,

the above question is over a year old. If the solutions provided above do not work for you, I recommend asking a new question. Unfortunately, you are unlikely to receive a fresh answer within this comment thread.

2. timmyjohnboy

Another issue could be that something else was bumped when you installed the RAM. Try making sure everything else surrounding the RAM is plugged in tightly. Just a thought.

3. Taty

There is also the option that the ram is defective. Just remove it and see if the computer will boot properly. if it doesn't, then you might actually have a problem. Yes, please post more information. How much ram, what model dell, etc...

4. Steve Campbell

Tina's right. Sometimes with Dell's I've noticed that you have to buy RAM in pairs. (i.e. one chip 256MB and one 1GB won't work, both have to be 1GB). Also, some Dell's require that every slot is full. Check to see what your computer's maximum RAM allowed is, too.

I take it that with "upgrade RAM" you mean that you inserted bigger RAM.

You say you have a Dell XPS. There are several models, which XPS do you have?
    What type of RAM did you use to upgrade, i.e. what are the exact specifications?

Did you ground yourself before you upgraded the RAM?
    Did you check whether the RAM is inserted properly?

If you are sure that the RAM is inserted properly, try to revert your changes and see whether your computer boots with the old setup, i.e. without the new RAM. If it does boot normally, there is an issue with your new RAM. Maybe it's broken or you got the wrong one.

You'll find more tips on how to install RAM here: http://www.ehow.com/how_895_install-ram.html