Why does my computer turn itself on at night?

June Dykes October 22, 2012

I have an Acer Aspire with Windows 7. Sometimes late at night (early a.m.) it comes on by itself, then shuts back down again. Any ideas as to why, and is it anything to be alarmed about?

1. nikhil

theres probably a timer on the computer just try switching it off or remove it

2. Raghav Gupta

You must have done auto backup at that time or wake up over LAN

haha I never knew something like this existed

4. Aniket Singh

you probably have windows automatic update set to download each night. that is the only site that i know of that can acess your drive. go to the windows security setting in control panel, and check update options. otherwise a mouse is chewing on the wires every night.

5. Lisa Santika Onggrid

You might have set up some automations in that time. Try to open Windows Scheduler. Delete what you think is unneeded. Then check programs you have installed in your computer. Maybe you set them to do something at that specific time? At this point, nothing to be alarmed of.

Second possibility, which is more dangerous, is that an (or more) unwanted program(s) has resided in your computer, making attempt to spread itself or 'phone home' in that schedule. Scan your computer with malware scanner like Malware Bytes.

6. June Dykes

Thanks guys, looks like my grandson set windows to update at 3:00 am.

7. Henree Arriola de Garcia

it's a demon.

8. Caroline West

My Laptop used to do this and for me it was when Windows was installing *Updates*. I believe you can change the time Windows installs updates automatically (from Control Panel) or turn it off and Windows will then Notify you of updates. For me I get update alerts in my Task Tray now (bottom on the right) where a 'Bubble' comes up saying to click to install them. Give it a try and see if it works (if I am right!) :-)

9. Boni Oloff

I never think a dead computer can wake up itself without anyone press the power button. but based on Dino Pearsons, it should, try to ask someone in the network.

10. Bill

Look at the other responses first, this is very likely incorrect:

First ask yourself this: Is the computer truly off? It might be in sleep mode, or possibly hibernated. If you don't need the state of programs to be saved at night, do a full shutdown.

Another possibility (laptops only) is the position of the monitor. My laptop will automatically turn on from sleep or hibernate when the lid is opened. If you don't close the lid, try that. If you do leave the lid closed, the mechanism might be broken, or a setting is incorrect.

11. Erlis Dhima

Probably there is a ghost turning it on! :PP
    I think you should see the devices you have connected your computer with.. Probably it's what Dino said! Try disconnect everything connected with your computer, and see what happens.. (Try disconnecting each device every time, so maybe you can find where the problem come from...)

12. druv vb

You can always shut down and pull the plug or switch the power socket off. Thats what I usually do.

Disable Wake on Lan and see if any schedule is activated in windows which automatically turn your pc on.

14. Dimal Chandrasiri

Turn off the "Wake Up On LAN" Option. this will help you. and if you have scheduled any windows or program updates to be performed at a certain time, please check them.! they might have set to a late night time...

15. Saurabh Banwaskar

Ya It's Possible When wake on lan enabled !!! Disable It And Check It Out

check event viewer and see what info it gives you then you can check which process is doing this and terminate it.

Click Start. In the Start Search box, type task scheduler. see if there is any task to be run at night.

perhaps your windows update is doing this?

17. Roi Ezekiel Arcega

Please do check your BIOS settings in "Power Management" -> "Auto On Time" and set it to "Disable".
    Hope it helps. Cheers!

• shaurya gupta

yes that is right...i think...quite spooky.

18. David Cornish

It's possibly the Wake-on-LAN setting, or I wonder if Windows Update is set to receive updates at 3am?

19. Dino Pearsons

It's possible your computer has Wake-on-LAN turned on, and that's what turns it on.

Also, some apps "phone home" at pre-scheduled times, usually during night so they don't disturb the user. There are some viruses and trojans that do this as well, but if you have anti-virus software installed, you should be fine.

You can turn off the Wake-on-LAN option in your BIOS settings.

• Douglas Mutay

Yes, Dino. You're right. If it has suddenly started to turn itself on after you have installed a new software you shoud check setting of the program. Unless you have activated the Wake-on-lan option yourself. This setting is usually off by default. The other option is to check your Scheduled Task on control panel and see if there is no a task that is scheduled to run at a certain time.

• Ahmed Khalil

yes i think that too.