Why does my computer suddenly shut down?

Anonymous February 7, 2014

I was surfing the net then suddenly my PC turned off. I don’t know the reason why it crashed. Was it the hardware or software?  I haven’t installed hardware. Well, for software, I just installed Samsung Kies.  After that, I searched through the Internet and use networking sites then it suddenly stopped working. What should I do?

1. john9er

If by "suddenly turned off" you mean like pulling the power cord check cpu temp. The bearings of the cpu fan are either worn or the fins of the cooler just need cleaning.
    If not so it could also be your power supply.

In addition to A. Lawrence's points, can you tell us what you mean but "suddenly turned off"? Did the PC go through the shutdown routine? Was there an error message or a blue screen? or did it simply shut down as if there had been a power cut?
    This is important since the causes can range from power cut (or underpowered PSU) to a hardware problem on the motherboard, to a system problem or even a virus.

perhaps windows update was working, downloading updates? if there are update then install them.

1) Open cmd with administrative rights
    2) type in sfc /scannow and hit enter

RAM Test with Memtest86+
    http://memtest.org/#downiso

4. kihara
  5. A. Lawrence

Please return and indicate what kind of computer. Make and model. Desktop or laptop. Windows or Mac.
    I will assume Windows. If a desktop it could be a number of things from a bad power supply to RAM. Try
    plugging it in to another outlet. If a desktop. Open it up and see if you see any burned connections or loose
    connections. Make sure the monitors plugged in and working.