Does Google Chrome slow down my computer?
Question by Mark /

My computer has been continually slowing down lately so I went to the Task Manager to see what’s up. There’s something called iExplore.exe which is taking up to 50% CPU and when I have Google Chrome open, it shows up 5 TIMES in the Task Manager.

Can anyone explain what iExplore is and also why Chrome might be showing up 5 times? Anyone else experienced this?

• Tyler

I explorer.exe is internet explorer still running. i dont know why chrome is open so many times.

• mark

my computer was streaming movies perfectly until i downloaded google chrome

• Steve Klabo

Very interesting responses, but still no-one explains why Chrome.exe can be open 4x in task manager with only one tab open on the browser. on a PC.

Steve,

Chrome also opens a process for every installed extension. So if you see 4 Chrome processes in your Task Manager and only have one tab open, then you probably have 3 browser extensions enabled.

• Rafique

“iexplore.exe” is the main executable of the Internet Explorer browser from Mircosoft. It is considered a part of the Windows operating system. Check the security settings for this program to minimize the risk when you are surfing.  
    Get more detailed information about iexplore.exe and all other running background processes with Security Task Manager.
    Note: Any malware can be named anything – so you should check where the files of the running processes are located on your disk. If a “non-Microsoft” .exe file is located in the C:Windows or C:WindowsSystem32 folder, then there is a high risk for a virus, spyware, trojan or worm infection

• Pandorageek

does slow down. Shoot i can write for Sh*t i rather stick to programming :-P

• Pandorageek

YES IT DOES SLOW DOWN YOUR COMPUTER. 

I have been using chrome for years, for me to tell you this.

If you have a good powerful computer you wont noticed much of the difference. If you have a mini computer or home use computer it does eat up a lot of resources. One browser open creates about 5 to 7 instances on the TASK BAR (control+alt+del). I have a program that tells me how my CPU< RAM The moment i open Chrome, i get a warning saying it use using a BIG PERCENTAGE of my computer memory and resources. This is why Chrome is fast, because it takes over YOUR COMPUTER! People love things that look good in front of them, without knowing what is going on in the background. I rather wait for Firefox to open than keep using CHROME. Safari is another one. There are other browsers like Opera (open source) that is quite alright. In my case i like the firefox plugins cause I’m a web developer and need those plugins, so i stick to firefox. Otherwise i would use another browser since firefox also little heavy.

• Strawberry

Chrome is junk.  Use IE (iexplore.exe).  I don’t understand why people continually download and use Chrome.  Also delete any added browser toolbars.  Don’t need it.  Have a nice day.

Hello Mark. Whenever your pc gets slow. close chrome normally or with task manager..if your pc suddenly gets bck to normal speed when you close chrome then you can blame chrome.

type : chrome://memory-redirect/
    in chrome addressbar, then you can see how much space does chrome actually use because it will show total of those multiple chrome tabs.
    then you can compare it with the normal task manager.

• Kartikeya Roy

First of All Iexplore is the internet explorer.
    Secondly there is a strange behavior of chrome. There were times when I had opened just 3 tabs and my windows 7 64 bit was dead slow…the task manager showed atleast 12+ instances of google chrome…when I kiiled those …my sysstem was back to life and the usage of CPU was reduced from 97% to 10-12%…so am sure that there is something funny happening around google chrome….

• Kartikeya Roy