Why does my computer slow down or freeze when opening my web browser?
Question by PHIL KAY /

Every time I open up Windows Explorer I get a notice – “Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close”. I have also recently started getting an Internet Explorer script error that says “object doesn’t support this property or method”.

When opening Windows Explorer it takes ages to load and quite often freezes up the whole computer. What is wrong and how can I fix it?

• kevin squires

dont know why pc is so slow and freezing bouncing me off ect

• E Digital Zone

Get the best digital support and speed up/fix your PC/Laptop/Computer, connnect to digital expert at http://www.edigitalzone.com or call Toll free 1800-944-2088

• Rahul Kumaar

As said by others this error happens mostly due to too many add ons and tool-bars.

You may try these step:-

Go to run and type inetcpl.cpl. It shows you the Internet options window. Try deleting all the junk files by using the delete button on the general page.

You may also try running internet Explorer safe mode to check if the problem is due to browser add ons.

For this go to Run and type `iexplore -extoff (Note: there is a space between iexplore and -). Check if your browser works fine. If it is then try to disable or remove the add ons. The best way is to reset your Internet Explorer from the advanced tab of Internet options windows. It will reset IE to factory defaults and this fixes the issue.

• Rahul Kumaar

Also, check one more Internet Explorer setting if you have a graphics card installed.

Go to internet Options and the Advanced tab,

In the settings box, you will see the 1st option as accelerated graphics. Just put a check on use software rendering instead of GPU rendering. Hit on apply and restart IE. Hope this helps.

What should you do about Internet Explorer script errors?
    1.Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Internet Explorer.
    2.Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
    3.Click the Advanced tab, select the Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer) and Disable script debugging (Other) check boxes.
    4.Clear the Display a notification about every script error check box, and then click OK.

try this microsoft fix

• ferdinan Sitohang

It is happen when there are add-ons or additional toolbar to your browser. This add-ons or toolbar is installed when you installing an application, in the default you use a standard installation, that’s why it is automatically installing that add-ons/toolbar. I suggest you disable the add-ons and toolbar from tools-> manage add-ons. Here you can disable the add-ons, and do update your IE.

• Jehan Seedin

Use Firefox or Google Chrome less problems than internet explorer

• Aditya Roy

Switch to chrome.

• Dalsan

Although I would’ve recommended it with the IE compatibility add-on, this was not the original question, and some sites need IE to work properly, even if you have the IE add-on. I’m going to online school, and need IE to login and participate, or else risk not getting in and not being able to do what I am supposed to do for my school work.

Also, leaving things “broken” can sometimes lead to other problems that can happen later on.

• Aditya Roy

I agree. I myself also IE for ‘those’ sites.
      But switching to chrome as your default browser means much less add-ons for IE, which in a way solves the problem.

• Thomas

Thats a massive error called PEBKAC. Many have been encountering this issue and it needs to be resolved. Things to use to resolve this is trying google. If all fails then take to your local IT Specialist and tell him you getting PEBKAC errors and they should be able to resolve it for you.

• Dalsan

You could also use this tool to see if it helps. http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Disable – or better yet, remove – unnecessary browser add-ons and toolbars. They are the most frequent cause of this behavior. Also make sure you have the latest updates for your version of IE by using Windows Update. About 6 times per year there are updates for IE that resolve performance issues.