Why does my computer shut off when I watch streaming videos in Chrome?

Tina Stark September 19, 2012

My laptop has suddenly started turning off when I’ve watched approx 20mins of streaming video but it only does it on Chrome, its fine on Internet Explorer, does anyoneknow why this is happening?

1. Diego

it happens to me too and i think Matheus is right. I am going to get my cpu cleaned as well. However, if watch a few movies one after the other (blu ray and 1080p full hd mkv files) nothing happens, it doesn't shut off. I think that's because the softwares i use (powerdvd 12, win media player and vlc player) do not cause the problem that occurs with Google chrome and let the gpu do the hard work.

2. Adinamo Alex

reinstall windows, update all drivers.

3. Debbie Bakel

When I watch TED videos it hesitates and goes to buffer. What program needs updating?

4. Prashast Kumar Rajput

perhaps its the problem of your heat sink...check your fan (should be clean)...
    and then open heat sink and check for thermal compound grease(should not be dry)..
    try changing the thermal grease or consult your service provider.

5. VS Vishnu

6. Alex Perkins

Its probably getting too hot and shutting down to protect itself, try cleaning out the fan(s) and see if that helps.

7. Alex Perkins

Its probably getting to hot and shutting itself down to protect itself, try cleaning out the fan(s)

8. Alex Perkins

Chromes weird like that, although i only ever had that happen once

9. Deekshith Allamaneni

It might be due to the Flash player that usually consumes heavy system resources.

A simple trick I use is to keep my ceiling fan turned ON while streaming. It really works.

10. Justin Pot

Are you watching these videos on a table, or are you setting your laptop down on blankets or another soft material? If the latter you're probably overheating your laptop. Set it down on something solid and you should be fine.

11. Sachin Kanchan

matheus is right...

no matter how much you clean your laptop fan of use an extra laptop cooler

if you have played games for long hours, or have used your laptop extensively...then its time that you do a maintenance check...

get to an authorized service center and tell them to put some thermal paste over the processor...

if your laptop is within warrantee period , enquire if the 'heatsink' is replaceble...

12. Erlis Dhima

I agree with what Matheus said!
    Maybe chrome flash player uses to much cpu, and even if not, after some time, the computer cpu gets hot, and than the computer shuts down!
    If you have this problem even with watching movies with a media player, maybe you should really consider applying thermal compound (I used to have this problem myself, and I bought some thermal compound, which cost less than $5.)
    If this happens only with chrome, then clean uninstall chrome, and install the lasted version of it...

reinstall shockwave and flash

on chrome type
    on the right side click on Details
    scroll to Flash, then deactivate the ones that comes with chrome and let only macromedia.

14. Matheus Pratta

Google Chrome may be using Hardware Acceleration to play your video, wich may be overheating your computer and making it shut off.
    When I had such a problem I used to call a technican to clean my CPU and apply Thermal Compound to my processor, wich prevented it from overheating...

• Tina Stark

i don't think its that because i always have a fan under my laptop and i had it all cleaned because it was over heating all the time. Thanx for the reply tho :)

• James Maciel

This is the most likely issue. You can use this program to monitor the temperatures of your laptop. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

• Roomy Naqvy

Seems like the most likely reason if it is browser specific.