Why does my computer not shut down properly?
Question by DZRTJUL /

I have a two year old Compaq Presario. I have been putting it on hibernate only because when I turn it off, I often get the “Black Screen of Death.” I have been able to solve this problem by hitting the power button and F8 at the same time if it is shut all the way down by mistake, but I have to hold my breath and hope! Any suggestions?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

What operating system are you using?
    Black screens can be caused when you are missing a file needed by the operating system to start. If you uncheck the automatic restart as advised before you can usually find what file is missing and it is just a matter of installing that file. Have you tried to run the sfc command? sfc.exe is a command that checks the integrity of files. If when you run this command, it finds a file missing it will replace it for you. You need to have your installation cd/dvd handy in case sfc needs it.

start >> run >> type cmd >> sfc /scannow

A black screen can also be caused when there is display driver problems. The solution is to update the drivers. Also, a black screen with boot failure can be caused when your system’s BIOS is corrupted, CMOS needs to be reset, or CMOS battery needs replacing. A common way of finding out if you need to have your CMOS battery replaced is when you notice that you set the time in your computer and then a few hours or days later you time is off again.

Black Screen can be caused by registry corruption or if registry files are not loaded properly.

Link for Advanced troubleshooting for Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308029

Link for Advanced troubleshooting when every time you restart it takes you to Advance troubleshooting screen:
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbysymptom/ht/returns-to-advanced-boot-options.htm

Link for System Error Codes:

Link for Blue Screen Error Codes.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/tp/stop_error_list.htm

Try to go into BIOS setup when starting and change the date and time. When you are finished manually changing time/date then press f10 to save it and restart.

If you press the f8 key at startup, does it give you the choice of Last Known Configuration that worked? If it does, have you tried it?

Hi

Go into Control Panel. Bring up the Power Applet. On your machine there will
    be an APM tab (your machine does not support ACPI, but does support APM).
    There will be a checkbox on that tab to enable APM.

Your machine will now shut down properly.

Similar, accomplishes the same thing. Right Click “My Computer”
    Choose properties. Click on “Hardware” tab and then “Device Manager”
    Click on “view” and “show hidden devices”. You will see APM with a
    red X over it, right click on it and choose “enable”.

open the Power Options applet in Control Panel. If there is an APM tab, make sure the “Enable Advanced Power Management Support” box is checked

You can try to reset your CMOS battery as a solution.
    Possible your graphic card driver is damaged and needs to be update
    or if You have a driver error, my guess will be is to repair your windows from the cd.

Isn’t a Black Screen of Death the desired state when shutting down? *irony*

You probably mean a Blue Screen ~ in that case it could be pretty much anything and you shouldn’t ignore it.

First make sure that automatic reboot is off:
    1. Right-click on “My Computer” and click Properties
    2. click on the “Advanced” tab
    3. click on “Settings” where it says “Startup and Recovery”
    4. uncheck “Automatically restart”
    5. reboot for the settings to take effect

Next time you try to shutdown your computer it should stay at the BSoD giving you all the time it takes to write down the message.

Things you should write down (depending on what is stated):
    – Error Name (all CAPS with underscore for spaces e.g. “IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL”)
    – STOP code e.g. “STOP: 0x00000001 (0x1234567c …..)”
    – any file associated with the error (e.g. “tcpip.sys – Address 0xaa49d9de …”)

for the STOP code it’s important to note all HEX codes (0x….*)
    for system files/drivers the first Address should be enough

If you got that we probably can help you narrow it down and/or solve it :-)