Why does my computer show an error message after starting?

Sabitri Mali January 3, 2012

When I start my computer the monitor displays a message “This application has failed to start because MSVCP60.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.” What does that mean? I don’t even know what application the message refers to.

either use a system restore point to revert back to earlier state where everything worked fine, or repair windows frm the cd.

Hello, that file has to do with Windows Runtime library.  There are several programs that need that dll to run.  The best way to fix it, would be by finding out what program installed that dll and reinstall the program.  It is very important that you make sure your system is up to date with windows update.  Also make sure that drives are up to date.  Make sure to run complete scans with your antivirus/antispyware software of choice.  If you do not have any installed, make sure to install one.

I would just run the system file checker.   System file checker will check the files in your installation with the originals when system was installed or from DVD installation disk.  What operating system are running?  Do you have the installation disk?  It is a good idea to have it handy in case you need it.  You have to run this command with administrator privileges.  To run system file checker do the following:

XP:
    -- Click on start
    -- click on run
    -- type cmd and press enter
    -- once command prompt opens type the following:

sfc /scannow

-- let the scan run
    -- restart your system and see if warning is still there

vista/Windows 7:

-- click on start
    -- type cmd in search box
    -- highlight cmd.exe in search box and right click
    -- click on Run as administrator
    -- follow same instructions as above

You can also try and disable the warning from startup by using the msconfig command:

-- click on start
    -- type msconfig in search box
    -- on menu, click on startup tab
    -- look for any entry similar to name in error or you could disable any entry for programs to start.  Make sure to leave windows processes checked and also antivirus/firewall entries.
    -- click on apply and then ok
    -- restart system