Why does my computer reset the screen resolution after every boot?
Question by Alex Picard /

Every time I start up or log out of my Windows Vista (sp1) computer, it always automatically switches the screen resolution to 640×480.
This has started to happen when I enabled advanced performance in the device manager, but even after disabling it, this was still happening. If this was caused by any installed software, it would likely be uninstalled by now.

• Emmanual_maben

Thank you so much Sanyam, that worked for me

did you get the screen resolution under control? If yes, how did you do it? Did any of the suggestions above help you? Please let us know!

• Sanyam Kapoor

mm I think the above 2 comments are a bit too complex. Let me give you a simple solution. Follow the steps below:
    1. Click the “Start” (orb-like) button.
    2. Type “msconfig”(without the quotes) and press enter.
    3. You’ll get a small window. In that select the “boot” tab.
    4. Under that select your operating system(it would be selected by default unless you have a dual-boot).
    5. Make sure the “Base Video” option is UNCHEKED.
    6. Apply the settings and then reboot your system after setting your desired resolution.
    7. I hope this solves your problem!

• massi

Sanyam, you are the best!! Just followed your advise as I have the same issue under Windows 7 64bit. I think that all happened after I installed EasyBCD to revover a dual boot Windows 7 64bit and Windows 7 32bit as I am testing my new rig. Anyway, even after uninstalling EasyBCD I still could not get around in getting the resolution to drop at 640×480. It must have been EasyBCD to change that feature you kindly advised on this thread. Thanks and all the best. Massi

• MetalQueen

Hey….someone who ACTUALLY knows what he’s talking about. (as compared with the complex answers above, hehehe)

Thank you, this solved my problem, I had the same one.

• Zenon

sanyam i am a novice and do not know where to start. i assume we commence at the screen with all the icons on it.- i.e. you say click the “start” (orb-like ) button. WHERE IS THAT?? I HAVE A RECTANGULAR GREEN BUTTON IN THE BOTTOM LEFT HAND CORNER WITH “START” ON IT.

• Scott

The rectangular green button is the start button. you have windows xp, and we are talking about windows vista7.

• Joe

tq …this solved my problem

• Neal

Thank you very much, Sanyam
      This solved my problem.. google search led me here..

• Jack Cola

Im guessing it is a driver/hardware issue. Since you have said you played around with the settings, this could have done something that Vista doesn’t like and resets it to the default value.

I would recommended doing a Systems Restore to the date before you made the changes. Otherwise, check that your settings are all correct and your hardware is supported by the software settings. Ie screen resolution and performance enhancements.

• Steve Campbell

Sounds like Windows Vista is your problem. I recommend you look into getting Windows 7. In the mean time, maybe you can do a recovery to an earlier time before you made the changes to your settings.