Which computer do you recommend to buy for internet, mail, and photo storage?

tracey January 25, 2011

Looking to buy new computer for home as ours has died! What should I look for? We use internet, eMail, and photo storage. Not much downloads.

When it comes to laptops I would recommend Sony Vaio series. I have had a bunch of laptops over the last 10 years, Sony Vaio is by far the best one.

What makes it better than the rest to you?

- Siemens has issue with battery (not a single case)
        - Dell had screen problems (not a single case)
        - Averatec was a good deal for the money but the cooling sucked big time
        - Sony Vaio - not a single issue after 2+ years

Forgot to mention...

We have a PDF Guide that may help you make a decision:
    Online Shopping Guide

In general, I would stick to a brand and make sure the computer comes with one year of full warranty. Laptops tend to break either during the first couple of months (production errors) or after the third year (wear and tear).

I used to recommend HP because my first laptop from them was awesome and I really like the one I got after that. However, these were high end laptops (hence good quality) and I recently made very bad experiences with HP's repair service when the laptop had to be picked up for a screen exchange.

Tracey,

since you seem to use your computer mostly for leisure and basic tasks, I would recommend to get a laptop.

The advantages are:
    - smaller than a desktop PC, i.e. takes up less space
    - portable, i.e. you can use it anywhere around the house and take it with you to download photos from your camera and check eMail when you travel
    - uses less energy than the average desktop PC

In your case I don't see major disadvantages. With a laptop it's difficult to upgrade the hardware, such as the graphics card or CPU, but you would only want to do that if you did serious work on that computer.

If you prefer a large screen, you can buy a suitable monitor and attach it to the laptop. Just make sure the graphics in/out connection matches. Or bring your laptop when you're shopping for the screen.