Why does my computer not recognize a RAM upgrade?

suraj November 9, 2010

I have an Intel D102ggc2 motherboard which supports 2 GB of RAM. Recently, I tried to upgrade from 1 GB to 2 GB, but it is not detecting the additional GB of RAM. Both are 667 MHz.

1. Ryan

You can also try reversing the RAM chips. Sometimes RAM can be finicky and by switching them around they might be able to work together.

Suraj,

what Jonny says is absolutely right. You have to check what type of RAM your motherboard supports or what type of RAM the original 1 GB module is.

Another concern is that you should never mix and match different manufacturers. Say your original 1 GB module is from Kingston, then you should try to get that same type of model from Kingston to upgrade your RAM.

Refer to this RAM Updating and Troubleshooting guide for more information.

3. Jonny

There are different types of Ram... 667 MHZ means nothing, what is more important is if it is DDR1 DDR2 or DDR3.... Also, some laptops have a limit on how much RAM you can upgrade to... you would have to google your laptop name and look up this information....

• suraj

It's not a laptop it's the desktop and the ram it support is ddr2