Why does my new computer occasionally lose its Internet connection?

MehSmerk January 30, 2012

I recently built a new computer. It loses Internet after awhile, and then I have to restart to get it back. I have another computer which is unaffected by this issue. What is going on?

1. Ed

The easiest way to identify the source of the problem is by elimination process. Start with the easy ones first. You can follow this troubleshooting process:

1) On the newly build PC, update the driver of your WIFI or LAN card to the latest version.

2) Try to use your new newly build computer with the old one turned off. Some ISPs set their modem/router to only allow one connection at a time. So if you use two or more computers, the connection will be intermittent. This is the case in my home country (Philippines) but it may not be true to yours. They do this to avoid sharing the connection to your neighbor (sounds crazy but it's true).

3) Check the IP configuration of the two computers at this time before troubleshooting further. Set it both to DHCP or "Obtain IP address automatically". Although Windows inform users if there's an IP address conflict, it will not hurt to check. 

4) If the problem is still there, you can now concentrate on the new computer. If you're connecting via wifi, disable it temporarily and connect via LAN or vice versa. If LAN works perfectly, then it is a problem either with the WIFI card itself or just a case of a weak signal. Make sure that you have a strong signal, 1 or two bars usually cause frequent disconnection. 

5) If WIFI works perfectly, it can be a problem with your LAN card or the UTP cable. Change the cable first since it is cheaper and easier to replace. Borrow one if you know someone who has. If the problem still persists you have no choice but to try a new LAN card to eliminate the possible culprit.

6) If you still have no luck with the steps above, I suggest reinstalling Windows. it can be a case of corrupted Windows installation. Actually, since it is a new PC, you can try this first instead of changing the hardware parts. Use another Windows installer, not the one you used before. If you have two optical drives, use the other one that you didn't use before. 

These are the steps that I will do if I'm in your position. I can't think of any more possible cause aside from these.

2. Karkala Nayak

Also more info

NOTE:
    1) check that you have a strong signal strength (IF WIRELESS).
    2) Make sure 'ALL' wires are connected to the right port and other computer peripheral.
    3)Check the Ethernet cable that connects the PC to the Internet. Maybe its Loose!
    4)check the motherboard, to see whether the port area for the Ethernet cable is correctly placed and correctly connected to the motherboard.
    5)Also make sure its not the ISP(Internet Service Provider) problem..They may be  the one disconnecting the internet..Check with other users of the same provider to make sure they too don't have same the problem..

If Problem Persists take the help of Professionals!

hope it helped!
    Your stranger
    Kayantihsrah

make sure that the pc is not infected with malwares, boot to safe mode and scan with malwarebytes antimalware and superantispayware.

reset TCP/IP, use microsoft fix it
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Hello, there have been questions similar to this before.  I am assuming this has to do with ethernet and not wireless?  The following previous questions deal mostly with wireless but most solutios apply to both, wireless and wired connections.

http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/wifi-require-restart-connect-windwos-7/
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/fix-wireless-connectivity-problems-windows-7-64bit/

Because it is a new build, I would also try making sure your system has the  most recent BIOS installed.  Also make sure to update chipset drivers and then ethernet.  Because you mentioned other computer I am assuming there is a router involved.  Make sure to update firmware for you router if available.  You could also try uninstalling the driver in device manager and then restart your system.  Generic drivers will be installed and you can check if same thing happens.    

More previous questions with ethernet related disconnections:

http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/computer-lose-internet-connection-time/
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/wireless-internet-adapter-losing-connection-randomly/

Let us know if this works, if not other things can be tried.

This is going to be hard to troubleshoot. Mainly because it will be hard to tell when its fix... 

When you lose internet connection do this and see what happens:

1. Click Start

2. On Windows XP click run and type CMD in the run box that comes up

On Windows 7 type CMD and hit enter

3 A black box should come up. Type "Ipconfig -release"

4 Wait until it finishes and Type "Ipconfig -Renew"

5 Wait until it finishes and Type "Netsh Winsock Reset Catolog"

If you get a error on any of these it will get us closer to where the problem actually is.

• Jack

Hi,

My computer when restart can connect to internet and than can not, how to solved it?

and all my network can connect to internet have only one that can not