Why does my old computer no longer start?

DE September 10, 2011

I currently have an old NEC slimline desktop PC bought in 2004. Just recently, I used winASO reg optimizer to clean out its registry errors and optimize the system. To make sure everything’s fine, I rebooted the system once and it worked like a gem.

However, the next morning when I switched it on, the fan motor was at full blast and it just stagnated at that point, nothing happened the boot screen wasn’t there, the monitor was on standby mode and there was a slight burning smell. I do not know what is wrong. Is it a hardware problem?

If you smelt something burning, you defiantly need to investigate that issue first. I'm not certain that the registry cleaner caused this, but it very well could have. 

First unplug the computer from any power outlets and then take off the case to the computer and check for any singed parts. If you find any, please take your computer to an independent PC repair specialist (unless you're knowledgeable in this sector) to see what parts need to be replaced. Don't proceed until you've fixed this issue. I'm willing to bet that it was a dust collection that simply got really hot and released a bad smell, but be sure to check it out anyway. 

Clean out dust from the system, fans and ports. Make sure the airflow isn't blocked (by walls, dust, etc.). Make sure all the fans function properly and that all the cables are snug and not touching one another or other hardware. 

Once you do so we can continue with fixing the operating system. 

If you have the windows cd you can boot on it choose a restore point to go back on time where evrything was fine, now if you dont have retore points choose repair function. First try to reset the CMOS battery, also check your BIOS that you are booting from the hard drive that has the OS on it. Now if its hardware problem like the fan consider to replace it.