Why does my computer no longer remember program user IDs and passwords?

Pat June 30, 2010

My computer has stopped remembering pass words and user IDs on certain programs. No matter what I try, I can’t get them back. Do you have a solution?’

1. Rick

How do I set my HP laptop to remember my ID'S and Passwords like Facebook and bank accounts ? I click on remember password on each site and it doesnt do it.My puter is brand new!

Rick,

the above question is over a year old. If the advice within this comment thread does not help you, I recommend that you submit a new question via MakeUseOf Answers. You will receive an answer within several hours.

What programs? I have done this to our users in Internet Explore using group policy. Are you on a corporate domain? What operating system are you using?

• Pat

It is my personal computer and I am using Vista. Mainly it's my two banking accounts. One does not remember my user ID, I always have to put in my password, that's the way the bank has it set up.....My other account does not register the computer so I have to answer my security questions every time I log on....Pain in the fingers.

It's very likely that those banking accounts are setup this way. Security measure.

• Jack Cola

What web browser are you using?

Vista is the operating system.

You may have checked "Do not remember passwords for this site" or the site has turned AutoComplete off for security reasons so you are forced to enter your username and password in case someone accesses your computer and takes all your money

• Pat

Mozilla

• Jack Cola

Sorry for the late reply, hopefully you have solved the issue by now, but in Firefox, if you go to Tools --> Options --> Security, make sure the Remember Passwords For Sites box is ticked. Then Firefox should prompt you to remember your passwords.

If you click on "Saved Passwords" you should be able to view all your saved passwords.