Why does my computer no longer recognize my WD Passport drive?

Denise Turk October 10, 2011

Why would my computer suddenly not recognize my external hard drive? If the hard drive is shot, how can I get to the data?

1. Megan

I had the same problem. When I connected to the computer I heard the noise that it was connected, but it didn't show up in disk management. The drive was vibrating and clearly moving.

I just wanted to say the following:
    1) My computer has 3 USB ports. Two of which say SS, the third has a +. Not sure if it matters which USB port, but it may be.
    2) I unplugged all devices (e.g., mouse, printer, drive). And shut down the computer. I re-started the computer and left plenty of time to ensure that my computer was ready to go.
    3) I plugged it into a different USB port (SS), and it worked.

Thanks for the help.

• kitz

I have have a 250 GB WD passport which I bought Two years ago.It works fine yesterday untill I formated it using my PC windows 7.I made a back-up on my PC before formatting it but Unfortunately I returned it back to my WD without knowing that It will not be recognized anymore after I reconnect it the next time..Id like to recover my file?device manager shows that it was enabled.I tried to enabled it but it was not possible coz it was causing some trouble thats why it was being enabled...pls I need help on how to enabled it or how to recover my files.thanks

did the answers above solve your question? Please let us know. Thank you!

1)Unplug ALL USB devices.
    2)Open Device Manager.
    3)View, Show
    Hidden Devices.
    4)Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    5)Uninstall all
    devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    6)Uninstall all
    devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are
    finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to
    the next one.
    7)If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of
    the entries there as well.

reboot pc

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized

• ConBro

thks alot 

I hope you checked the primary things like :
    After restarting your pc, if it does not detect your external hard disk using different usb ports, then try to connect another hard external hard disk to your pc,
    and connect your first hard disk to another pc to clear where the problem is.