Why does my computer no longer recognize USB devices?
Question by Alex Picard /

When I plug something in to my computer, a notice says that the device is unrecognizable and unusable. If I take something out and put it back in, the same thing happens.

Now my webcam doesn’t work, my wireless mouse doesn’t work, and my camera won’t transfer photos. I didn’t try restarting my computer because I’m worried that EVERYTHING won’t work. I also don’t have the money for a new computer.

• bb

i mean i cant use it now

• bb

u know alex its happened to me now also..i dont know what to do…ican use my cam no more…i did read advice here now hope i can do it tonight as i need it so much

maybe you have disabeled your usb ports

you can check it out yourself easely

press start with your mouse or any other pointer device or press the windows-key on your keyboard this will bring up your windows start menu, there you search for Computer or My Computer u click with your right mouse button on my computer and in the context menu you choose for properties. (you need admin rights) there u click on the tab hardware and then on the device manager button.
    this brings another screen up with all your hardware components. ther you search for usb controllers near the bottom. after you located the usb controllers click on the little + sign before the icon then it shows alle usb slots if there is any with a red cross on in that port si disabled. to enable it rightclick on the usb-hub or device and choose in the context menu enable. if that aint working search for altered hardware. (sorry english is not my native language, i hope i did make my self clear and that this is a proper solution for your problem)

maybe you’ve got some generic Trojans on the device… I know it, because same thing happend to my external hard disc the other week – my computer doesn’t recognize it, but friends’ does… she scanned it with Nod32, and found 11 viruses, from which 7 was generics… she then deleted those viruses off my disc, and now everything is OK…

• nm

There could be all sorts of things causing this Alex. I found this article where someone had a similar problem: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/usb-device-not-recognized/
    According to that article all it takes is unplugging your computer

• soldierguy

Thanks for your answer regarding USB devices not recognized when plugged in etc.  I followed your advice and turned off and the unplugged etc/waited.  Turned all back on and plugged in my USB MP3 player and now its both seen when I go to MyComputer as an existing drive and also the little Autoplay popup screen happened that asked what how I wanted to use the just not plugged in MP3 player etc. All Good Great

• Taty

Hi Alex
    It seems to be an issue with your usb, not the other hardware. Does it happen on every usb or just that one?