Why does my computer no longer recognize my pen drive and what can I do?

t jaya prakash babu December 25, 2011

I have purchased a 32GB Kingston pen drive. Few days it worked well. After that when it is inserted no light is glowing in the pen drive. Icon also is not showing on the computer.

Can any one give me a solution please?

Hello, when you say it shows as unknown, is that in device manager? Have you checked if the pen drive shows in disk manager?  Have you check the drive in a different computer?  A different USB plug?  If when you plug the drive in and you do not see a light but the drive shows as unknown, you might still have a chance yet.  Have you tried the following?

-- click on start
    -- right click on Computer
    -- click on manage
    -- click on disk management
    -- does your pen drive show there?
    -- if it does show, what is the formatting?  Does it show as RAW format?

if any of the above questions can be aswered with a yes, then you could try formatting the drive.  If you try this, you will loose any files/documents there.  If you have tried in a different computer and it shows as unknown, chances are your drive got corrupted and it is showing as RAW formatting.  Like I said above you coult try formatting your drive to see if that fixes it.  If you have this problem only on the one computer, you could try uninstalling the USB drives and then restart. 

hi, go to device manager and look for  Yellow Exclamation Point in Device Manager that corresponds to your 
    32GB Kingston pen drive, right click on it and uninstall then reboot, reinsert the 
    32GB Kingston pen drive.

Just to be sure I would try another USB port on your computer and if possible the pen drive on another physical computer.

But a dead light usually indicates a dead drive.

• Jayaprakash Babu

thank you for the response friend. i nhave tried. but it is showing as unknown device

What operating system are you using?

• Jayaprakash Babu

thank you for the response friend. i am using windows 7. it is showing as unknown device.