Why can my computer no longer boot from the hard drive?

Jad Zeidan August 18, 2012

I turned on my computer one day and my hard drive can’t be booted up from. It says “please enter boot device” or something like that.

The hard drive seems to work just fine though. I bought a USB connector/adapter and I can hear it boot up without any weird or clicky noises. My computer makes the “du dun” tone after I plug it in, but that’s it. It doesn’t show up Explorer nor on the disk manager.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

1. Jad Zeidan

Hi guys, thanks for the tips, but it seems they main problem is that the hard drive is corrupted, therefore I can't access the data on it/the computer wont see it. But it I can hear the disk spinning and it sounds normal. All I really want to do is to somehow access the data on it. It's not a problem with the connections because it wont work on another computer either.

you can use some live cd like hirensboot (it has minixp inside) or linux live cd to see if the hard drive is detected, if it is successful then you can save your files.
      http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Buy the same hard drive then try to replace the disk and see if the new hard drive will be recognized by windows.

2. Vipul Jain

this has happened to me quite a lot and the solution for my problem was damn simple. Just try to unplug and replug the wires connecting HDD & Motherboard from both sides. You can also try to replug the wire in another slot on the motherboard if you can find one.
    If this doesn't work, boot using an OS disk.

3. CyberByte UK

Check BIOS settings for boot order and devices seleted, MBR may be corrupt.

4. Elijah Swartz

It sounds like your Master Boot Record (and the Partition Table within it) got corrupted. I would first recommend that you take out your operating system disk, boot to it, and run it's repair functions. Optimistically, it should repair your drive, allowing you to access the data and boot to it.

go to BIOS and check if the booting order is on the hard drive containing your Windows