How can I become computer literate?

Alston Yates November 17, 2010

Basically, I am like a caveman when it comes to computers. I’m 30 yrs old and work on a Mac desktop computer all day. What gives?

I do want to become computer literate or efficient, though. Where should I begin? Online courses? FYI, email and espn.com is about the extent of my expertise. Thanks for your time, love your site! Cheers, Alston

1. Alston Yates

Tina & Mike,

Thanks for your feedback- it is much, much appreciated! I will let yall know how I fare. Thanks again for your time and thoughtfulness!

Cheers,
    Alston

Regular emailing and surfing the web is computer literate ~my opinion.

I always suggest to start with things that have to do with your regular use.
    Something that improves your daily usage and tasks.

One example would be to set espn.com as your start page since you specifically mentioned it. Another example would be email signatures and text expanding/replacement when writing emails ~like instead of writing "see you soon" all the time create an automatic replacement so all you have to type is "sys" and the computer will do the rest

The basic idea behind it is that your computer can do everything you do. So your goal is to automate those things as much as possible, making your life easier.
    This way you will not only learn more about your computer and it's functions, you will also improve your daily usage.

Alston,

I think you have come to the right place. :)

The best way to become computer literate is to use your computer and try different things that you either need or enjoy. I find it difficult to suggest specific things to you because there is so much that you could do, but I have no idea what you need and besides, I don't have a Mac. :)

So I would suggest you to browse Google with your questions, for example "how to organize my eMail" or "how to watch TV online" or "how to optimize my Mac". Just be adventurous and see what you discover.

In the meantime, I recommend you to read the following resources:
    MakeUseOf Mac Manual
    Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts (PDF file)
    Keyboard Shortcuts for Mac OS X Firefox (PDF file)

And if that's not enough to get you started, check out all our Mac-related articles on MakeUseOf.

This should keep you busy for a few hours and there is so much to learn! Just remember that whatever you try to learn, it should be either fun or at least useful, otherwise you should move on and try something else. :)

Please let us know if there are specific things you would like to learn! Maybe you are more interested in the internet, building websites, social networks etc. It's tough to guess!