Why does my computer hang after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04?

gpvprasad May 4, 2012

Yesterday I updated my system to Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop. Now at times the system hangs. IĀ use a dongle to connect to internet, so I am not able to connect to the Internet in restore mode. How do I fix this?

1. Deepanraj

More or less i used all ubuntu version in my system all are hangs(stuck) when runnning this following chrome or firefox browser, rhytmbox or some mediaplayer , text editor running some c or java programs this is program i used lot during this only. i will add my computer configuration for ur details intel e7400 2.8GHZ, asus motherboard and 4 gb ram . Thanks

2. gpvprasad

Yep the last option I am left with is reinstalling or temporally move back to 11.10

3. Susendeep Dutta

Choose Unity 2D or choose Gnome.

Try reinstalling Ubuntu.

Reinstall / Recover GRUB from Ubuntu live CD / USB -

http://www.howopensource.com/2012/05/reinstall-recover-grub-from-ubuntu-12-04-live-cd-usb/

5. Kyem Ghosh

No it should not... As I use Ubuntu 12.04, I get no bug except there is a lil bit of problem in the sound driver as it sometimes fail to load. I updated the kernel again, the bug is removed! Chk your hardware (I think its ok as if there was some problem, you couldn't have get it installed). I would rather ask you to download a fresh copy of Ubuntu 12.04 as I think something was missing in your present setup. A fresh copy of Ubuntu will solve your problem, I hope so!!!

• urvil

hi Ghosh,

i got problem when i activate the nvidia drivers, after restart, i get up to the login process but then suddenly the black screen comes n like a state of hang
      again restarting the system in get into unity 2D its works perfectly.

to get in to the unity mode need to remove the nvidia drivers again. thats not a big deal without drivers i am satisfied with the unity, but after some random time system get in to hang state... only option is left is force restart... did it because of not available driver software, b'cos i fully loaded with the compiz utility effects and all ...

my laptop is F736AU compact presario

and can you help by specifying the steps of update kernal..

thanks,
      regards.

6. Kyem Ghosh

No it should not... As I use Ubuntu 12.04, I get no bug except there is a lil bit of problem in the sound driver as it sometimes fail to load. I updated the kernel again, the bug is removed! Chk your hardware (I think its ok as if there was some problem, you couldn't have get it installed). I would rather ask you to download a fresh copy of Ubuntu 12.04 as I think something was missing in your present setup. A fresh copy of Ununtu will solve your problem, I hope so!!!