Why does my computer freeze so much with the latest Linux Kernel?

George Monroe August 11, 2012

Ever since 2.6# kernel, almost every distro I have tried has lead to system freezes. I unfortunately never checked the logs. It seems to be related to closing web pages. Sabayon has been the worst, Ubuntu, and also PC BSD. Has anyone else had the same experience?

1. ReĆ½ Aetar

revert to the old kernel

2. Timothy Liem

I never get the problem you got. try using the latest (3.5.0) coz it has much more improvements. currently I use Ubuntu Precise with kernel 3.4.0 and experience nothing bad.

• George Monroe

ok i will check my kernel, thanks for the replys, the only kernel mod i know that comes close is "nomodeset" and that will not let the nvidia driver be used to its capabilities, if i remember correctly, so i will try the latest kernel first.

3. Dalsan

Sometimes certain kernals wind up not playing nice with certain systems, as I have learned with changing kernals in Android on my phone. It would be best to revert back to a previous kernal if you are getting that many problems. You might also be able to find modified 2.6 kernals to see if they might behave better, though there may be a chance of getting worse symptoms than you are having now.

Try reverting back to previous kernel version.