Why does my computer freeze when I try to use 3D modeling software?

Alyona Maksimova September 25, 2012

Recently I tried to practice 3D modelling but ran into a problem – whenever I try to launch any 3D modelling software the whole system just freezes dead (the software doesn’t even start, I’ve tried out a bunch of different ones) and I have to hard restart every time. Could somebody help me figure out what the problem is?

Specs:

Processor: AMD Turion(tm) II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M620 2.50 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB
Video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

I’m using HP Pavilion dv6-2111er laptop. Thanks!

1. Dimal Chandrasiri

your spec is fine.

Method 1:
    reinstall the software going through a guide.

Method 2:
    update your drivers and then do a restart. try running after the update. ( if you can do a windows update )

Method 3:
    try a different 3D modelling software just to check whether the problem exists.

Method 4:
    do a clean uninstallation of the software with cleaning the registry as well as all th files left behind after uninstalling.

This is not an issue with your hardware. the spec is fine. something is wrong with your software.

2. Dimal Chandrasiri

this is not something regarding to your hardware. even if it's on low spec, in your case, that's sufficient to run a simple 3D modeling work. it has to be with your software. NOT with the hardware. maybe something wrong with the specific software version you've installed.

I've come across some points where 3D MAX is giving a lot of trouble, cus of missing a single .dll file. so what I recommend is just uninstall what ever software you are using with a 3rd party uninstaller software. ( revo uninstaller may be ) don't forget to clean up your registry after uninstalling, which if revo uninstaller will automatically do. after uninstalling, do a restart and install the software again, carefully going through the instructions.

if the problem is still there, try using a different version of the software. if that fails too, get an open source software such as blender and try running it. it's very light weight and a very powerful software ( if you have an idea what you are doing ) to work with. :) I have run blender on a pc with a P4 CPU, 1GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 5550 so, spec is not an issue just to startup a software. if you are going for huge renderings, then the spec will be insufficient.

and another thing. check that you have all the necessary software components are installed in your windows, before running the 3D software. since, most of the modern software uses dot net framework, if you miss it, the software will probably crash. but, most of the softwares give an error if you miss those components or will automatically install them at the software installation, but just check in case! :)

3. Erlis Dhima

I think there might be an option to the software you are using for 3D rendering that applies the priority of the cpu used!
    I have almost the same specs as your computer, and everything works fine for me! :)

4. Alyona Maksimova

I'm trying to use Blender, and these are it's minimal hardware requirements:

1 GHZ Single Core CPU
    512 MB RAM
    1024 x 768 px Display with 16 bit color
    3 Button Mouse
    Open GL Graphics Card with 64 MB RAM

I actually tried to check if my video card supports OpenGL with the OpenGL Doctor, but the system froze all over just like with 3D modelling. I'm using the latest drivers for my video card, theoretically it supports OpenGL and I fit into the minimal requirements - OpenGL seems to be causing the freezes, not sure why though.

5. jrasulev

What is the name of the software? Did you check the system requirements on the soft maker web-site?

6. HLJonnalagadda

Modeling software these days are such resource hogs and thats understandable considering the functionality included. Check at the manufacturer's website the recommended configuration and see where your system lies.

try this microsoft solution
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/games/en-us

update graphic card driver

8. Sachin Kanchan

The 3-D modelling software these days are bulky and that is just obvious by the work they are needed to do.
    Also they require a lot of graphics.

I prefer nvidia over ati radeon; 1 GB of nvidia worth more than twice that of 2GB radeon

If you are facing problems as such, try using older version of the software, like 2011 or 2012.

I am a Mech. engg. student, have to often use Solidworks, but I have 2012 and often hangs up, even when I try to rotate the model.
    But 2011 just works fine.

But depends on what software you are using.

9. ferdinan Sitohang

Try to see the minimum requirements of your 3D software modelling, like Ales said. The other possibility is the software is not supported by AMD processor.

10. Alex

Your laptop is too weak for 3D modelling. In particular, the video card is not suitable for this.