Why does my computer say I need to format my pen drive?

Nala Dimapunong August 3, 2012

I have a 1GB Kingston pen drive which I’ve been using for 2 years now. One day, I got this error message from my PC (Win7 Ultimate 64-bit) at work: “You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it.” When I hit cancel, another error message pops up:
“G:\ is not accessible.
The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.”
I don’t want to format it since it will lose my data on the pen drive. I will resort to formatting AFTER I get a copy my files first. I searched some solutions online and tried a few of them. I tried disk management, but my pen drive’s letter doesn’t show at all! I think it doesn’t read it (only local drives C, D and a virtual drive). In “My Computer,” it showed it as “Removable Drive G,” with the used and free spaces indicated as “0 bytes”. I tried the Properties-Tools-Check Now (Error-checking Option) but the first error message above pops up, which means I can’t do this option either. I tried it on 2 other computers (same with my OS), those PCs detect it but insist on formatting as well.
The question is: how can I fix this? Is there any way I can copy my files in the pen drive? I am really frustrated. I need help.

1. V. Uthay

I had a same issue of my memory stick ask me to format disk. I tried many ways nothing worked and finally i used CardRecovery software it's awesome i recovered everything and the transferring speed like anything......

2. James Womack

Fellow Window users. Just this morning I had the same problem being discussed here. It's not the first time it has happened. Right now i have a brand new ASUS G75VW-RS72 DTR notebook. This same request to reformat issue has appeared on my past two computers as well as my Toshiba laptop used when I lecture.
    In my case, my USB drives were already NTFS formatted either from being internal drives in an existing computer or formatted via USB as new units. After trial and error and after verifying it wasn't the USB ports or anything else, I find the following. 1. Sometimes restarting the computer brings the HDD online. 2. Sometimes changing the USB port brings the HDD online. 3. Sometimes changing the USB cable or jiggling it brings the HDD online. 4. Sometimes (crazy, I know) hooking the HDD to another of my computers and seeing the drive, then hooking it back into the other computer brings the HDD online.
    Now, why is this? I don't know and believe it has something to do with Windows it self. It's also ridiculous for this to be happening at all.

3. mit shah

“G:\ is not accessible.
    The question is: how can I fix this? Is there any way I can copy my files in the pen drive? I am really frustrated. I need help..........
    but my pen drive is formeted ......so please tell me can i get my lost deta......please help me

• SAif

How did you format your pendrive

• Mic

Don't re-format tooo soon. Try it on a mac first. I'm having similar pproblem with a 1TB My Passport drive with 500gb of data on it and I plug it in to a Mac and can see all my files just fine.

4. Tabish

“G:\ is not accessible.

• Nala Dimapunong

No offers of help? Hmmm...getting points, eh? Plagiarizer! >:(

5. ryan rell

you can use usbshow.zip installer it can recover all files, i also encounter that problem but so i use usbshow.zip to recover my files.

• Nala Dimapunong

I doubt that'll work since I can't open my pendrive without the "format" prompt. But I guess it's still worth checking out. Download link, please?

6. Piyush Mishra

Can you please tell me how it was resolved ? I am having the same problem.

• Nala Dimapunong

Unfortunately, there wasn't any solution. I put it "resolved" because I decided to format my drive, which is another problem now because it CAN'T be formatted. So, I am considering to buy a new one. Sorry.

7. pranav

same problem

• Nala Dimapunong

Let's just a buy a new one. *sigh*

8. Nala Dimapunong

Hello, guys. After all my "research" to find a solution to my problem with no avail, I decided to format my pendrive. I appreciate those who tried to help me.

9. joe

Have you tried in a linux or mac machine?

• Nala Dimapunong

Unfortunately, I don't have both. So, I just stick to my resources.

10. echantrea

Trying reinstall mass storage driver.

• Nala Dimapunong

I re-installed it, but still insists on formatting.

11. Rishabh Sharma

DVD players are only meant to read the data,not to write it... However Pen drive could be damaged if done improper formatting, or writing of files

• Nala Dimapunong

Thank you for that information. So that means my DVD player can't do anything that will destroy my files, right? Whew.

12. Rishabh Sharma

PROBLEM- This normally happens when a hardware change had been done on pendrive. Like converting it from 'fat 32' to 'ntfs'... SOLUTION- Ensure that your pendrive is inserted correctly. (Or)Restart windows to load drivers corectly (or) use some recovery softwares like, recuva,glary utilities etc.. HOPE THIS HELPS

• Nala Dimapunong

I did your solutions except for the last part. I'll do it later and get back here. Anyway, I formatted my pen drive before to FAT, so that my DVD player could read it. It's interesting to note that this same DVD player had currently stopped reading the same pen drive. However, I don’t think that’s really a problem because my cheap DVD player usually works that way—sometimes it reads it; sometimes it doesn't. There were times it says, "USB device is not recognizable." I had to plug it in repeatedly until it reads it. Could this somehow affect my pen drive?

13. Âdil Farôôq

your file system may have corrupted try Recuva

• Âdil Farôôq

Download link for Recuva
      http://www.piriform.com/recuva

• Nala Dimapunong

I will post sometime about the results.

• Nala Dimapunong

Unfortunately, Recuva also cannot open the pen drive...

14. Alex

Don't format? don't try chekdisk/
    Try 'Find and Mount' utility for rescue data, if succes then save data to any place tnen can format pen drive
    http://findandmount.com/download/

• Nala D.

I tried the program you suggested. I tried all the scan types, but all of them says the same thing--no partition found. Thanks for the program, btw. It's small and nifty.

• Nala Dimapunong

Alex, I tried the program you suggested. I tried all the scan types, but they are all the same--"no partition found".

15. Suman Acharya

try Recuva, DiskDigger and softwares like that to try recover your files in the drive. and format it.
    The file system is corrupted, it is in raw format.

• Nala Dimapunong

Does it mean you can't copy the data in raw format? What does raw mean anyway?

16. ferdinan Sitohang

Are you already try to change the filesystem type of your pen drive to NTFS?. Try access your pen drive using your previous operating system. If it is the same, then there is no other option rather then formatting your pen drive. To recover your files please refer to this topic
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/hard-drive-deleted-accident/

• Nala Dimapunong

Why should I format it to NTFS?