Nala Dimapunong

Why does my computer say I need to format my pen drive?

03 Aug 2012
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Chrome 20
03 Aug 2012 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Chrome 20

I have a 1GB Kingston pen drive which I’ve been using for 2 years now. One day, I got this error message from my PC (Win7 Ultimate 64-bit) at work: “You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it.” When I hit cancel, another error message pops up:
“G:\ is not accessible.
The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.”
I don’t want to format it since it will lose my data on the pen drive. I will resort to formatting AFTER I get a copy my files first. I searched some solutions online and tried a few of them. I tried disk management, but my pen drive’s letter doesn’t show at all! I think it doesn’t read it (only local drives C, D and a virtual drive). In “My Computer,” it showed it as “Removable Drive G,” with the used and free spaces indicated as “0 bytes”. I tried the Properties-Tools-Check Now (Error-checking Option) but the first error message above pops up, which means I can’t do this option either. I tried it on 2 other computers (same with my OS), those PCs detect it but insist on formatting as well.
The question is: how can I fix this? Is there any way I can copy my files in the pen drive? I am really frustrated. I need help.