Why does my computer say I need to format my pen drive?
Question by Nala Dimapunong /

I have a 1GB Kingston pen drive which I’ve been using for 2 years now. One day, I got this error message from my PC (Win7 Ultimate 64-bit) at work: “You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it.” When I hit cancel, another error message pops up:
“G:\ is not accessible.
The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.”
I don’t want to format it since it will lose my data on the pen drive. I will resort to formatting AFTER I get a copy my files first. I searched some solutions online and tried a few of them. I tried disk management, but my pen drive’s letter doesn’t show at all! I think it doesn’t read it (only local drives C, D and a virtual drive). In “My Computer,” it showed it as “Removable Drive G,” with the used and free spaces indicated as “0 bytes”. I tried the Properties-Tools-Check Now (Error-checking Option) but the first error message above pops up, which means I can’t do this option either. I tried it on 2 other computers (same with my OS), those PCs detect it but insist on formatting as well.
The question is: how can I fix this? Is there any way I can copy my files in the pen drive? I am really frustrated. I need help.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

• V. Uthay

I had a same issue of my memory stick ask me to format disk. I tried many ways nothing worked and finally i used CardRecovery software it’s awesome i recovered everything and the transferring speed like anything……

• James Womack

Fellow Window users. Just this morning I had the same problem being discussed here. It’s not the first time it has happened. Right now i have a brand new ASUS G75VW-RS72 DTR notebook. This same request to reformat issue has appeared on my past two computers as well as my Toshiba laptop used when I lecture.
    In my case, my USB drives were already NTFS formatted either from being internal drives in an existing computer or formatted via USB as new units. After trial and error and after verifying it wasn’t the USB ports or anything else, I find the following. 1. Sometimes restarting the computer brings the HDD online. 2. Sometimes changing the USB port brings the HDD online. 3. Sometimes changing the USB cable or jiggling it brings the HDD online. 4. Sometimes (crazy, I know) hooking the HDD to another of my computers and seeing the drive, then hooking it back into the other computer brings the HDD online.
    Now, why is this? I don’t know and believe it has something to do with Windows it self. It’s also ridiculous for this to be happening at all.

• mit shah

“G:\ is not accessible.
    The question is: how can I fix this? Is there any way I can copy my files in the pen drive? I am really frustrated. I need help……….
    but my pen drive is formeted ……so please tell me can i get my lost deta……please help me

• SAif

How did you format your pendrive

• Mic

Don’t re-format tooo soon. Try it on a mac first. I’m having similar pproblem with a 1TB My Passport drive with 500gb of data on it and I plug it in to a Mac and can see all my files just fine.

• Tabish

“G:\ is not accessible.

• ryan rell

you can use usbshow.zip installer it can recover all files, i also encounter that problem but so i use usbshow.zip to recover my files.

• Nala Dimapunong

I doubt that’ll work since I can’t open my pendrive without the “format” prompt. But I guess it’s still worth checking out. Download link, please?

• Piyush Mishra

Can you please tell me how it was resolved ? I am having the same problem.

• Nala Dimapunong

Unfortunately, there wasn’t any solution. I put it “resolved” because I decided to format my drive, which is another problem now because it CAN’T be formatted. So, I am considering to buy a new one. Sorry.

• pranav

same problem

• Nala Dimapunong

Hello, guys. After all my “research” to find a solution to my problem with no avail, I decided to format my pendrive. I appreciate those who tried to help me.

• joe

Have you tried in a linux or mac machine?

• Nala Dimapunong

Unfortunately, I don’t have both. So, I just stick to my resources.

• echantrea

Trying reinstall mass storage driver.