Why does my computer drop its Internet connection?

March 3, 2014

Internet keeps cutting out and computer keep freezing.

Having several problems. I used to keep having to reset my network adapter when I would randomly lose Internet connection. Now it is getting worse and happening more.

Sometimes resetting it doesn’t work.

Other times it will work great and then the Internet will get slow and it will have a problem loading whole pages and often pictures.

I’ve updating the network drivers. Changed/swapped out the router. Changed cables. I ping the ipv4 when this happens and it loses all the packets.

Computer also beeps 3 short time in a row sometimes (not all the time).

The computer also has problems waking up when I come back to it. And I’ve had times where it will not start up and get stuck on random screens. It has also crashed and restarted quite a few times

Do you think my mother board is going out? The PC is over 6 years old.

Difficult to say with so many things going wrong... The three beeps on startup do indeed indicate a RAM fault (might just need reseating on the motherboard). If they're happening in the middle of a session then that's more of a mystery.
    The main thing you need to work towards is isolating the problem(s) systematically. Some things you should try are:

• Check your hardware with diagnostics software (e.g. Hirens boot disc, which has a memory tester and some other utilites).
    • Check the connection between your PC and the router both when the computer is working and when the connection fails. You should ping the router itself rather than an external web site, so you can home in on the problem more accurately.
    • Every components is suspect, so if you can get an extra ethernet cable which you have tested elsewhere and found to be working, do so, and when you have a problem try the good cable and see if it makes a difference. Similarly, if you can borrow another computer that is known to work, swap it in when you have encounter the problem and see how it works. If things work fine with the swapped element, that's where your problem is (* see next item though!). Otherwise, look elsewhere.
    • It is not impossible for two things to fail simoultaneously! I have seen computers with a software problem and a dodgy network cable, and other combinations too. Bear this in mind. The main thing is to make a list of all the possible causes, and all the tests, and gradually confirm the health or otherwise of each component, rather than to just try lots of things and see if any of them happen to help.

Good luck!

2. dragonmouth

Sounds to me like the ethernet port on your motherboard is dying. I would disable it in Device Manager and install a Network Adapter card in one of your expansion slots.

A memory failure has occurred
    http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
    can be ram problem, if you have 2 ram installed remove one at once and check if problems get solved.

you can have malware on your pc, do scan with your antimalware, also try to use live cd to boot on it and scan for mlaware.