Why does my computer display incorrect time after installing Windows Updates?

Mark P June 13, 2014

Okay, can anyone help me out here? EVERY time I install Windows updates, when my computer starts back up the internal clock is about 4 hours ahead. I know its a simple thing to just click the clock and fix the time but it only happens when I install Windows updates, not when I restart my computer or anything so half the time I forget and by the time I remember, its already messed up my Skype chats with its wonky time stamps. Does anyone have any idea why it does this or is anyone else experiencing this?

1. Alan W

Another possible solution that I have read is to Click on Start and in the search box type services.msc
    In the window that open scroll down to Windows Time and right click on it.
    Select Restart then click OK and OK.
    See if that cures the problem.

• Mark P

Thank you for your advice. I looked and that service wasn't even started, so I clicked start on it. Unfortunately I have no way of knowing if it worked or not, since it only does it when I install updates. I guess I'll see when the next updates are due, but at least I tried something!

• Alan W

Well, as with all fixes, its a move forward. Hopefully after the next update you will let us know the status.

• Mark P

Yep, Whenever they have the next update I'll download it and see if my time changes. Thank you

• Mark P

Not sure if anyone will see this but, Updated again last night. The clock changed again :( So I'm not sure what it could be

• Bruce E

Did the Windows Time service start up when the system rebooted? If it didn't, you may need to change the startup type. On my system, it always starts on reboot and the startup type is 'Manual'. If that doesn't work for you, go ahead and change it to 'Automatic'. Then I guess we need to wait for Patch Tuesday to see if it works.

• Mark P

The service was on manual, so I switched it over to automatic. It's weird how it only does it when I update and not on restart. But, I'll be sure to update this question on if it worked or not next time it updates, Thank you so much for your help, This drives me insane!

2. Alan W

As well as Time Zone, check your Regional settings (in the Control Panal).

• Mark P

Time zone is correct (-5 eastern US time) And i checked regional, that is correct also, united states. Thank you for trying to help though :(

My guess is the same as Bruce's - wrong time zone. Bring up the clock and click the "change date and time settings..." link at the bottom. Click "Change time zone..." and select your area. Click OK and OK again and that should be it.

• Mark P

Thank you for your advice. I am already syncronized with an online server, which is why this confuses me because all of my settings say this shouldn't be happening. It happens ONLY when I install windows updates, not on a normal restart. I'll have to check the other articles you linked still.

• Mark P

Thanks for your advice orion, But my timezone is correctly set :( Time zone is correct and Internet syncing settings are correct. Again, This happens only when I install new updates, not when i shut down/restart. :(

To synchronize your computer's clock with an Internet time server
    1. Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click Control Panel, click Clock, Language, and Region, and then click Date and Time.
    2. Click the Internet Time tab, and then click Change settings. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. Click Synchronize with an Internet time server, select a time server, and then click OK, and then click OK again.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-80072f8f#1TC=windows-7

Windows Clock on Taskbar and in Date/Time Tool Loses Time
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189706

3 Reasons Why Your Windows Computer Clock Loses Its Time
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-reasons-windows-computer-loses-time-date/

Make sure your computer has the correct time zone set.

• Mark P

Unfortunately, The time zone is correct which is why this was confusing me so much. The timezone doesn't change, the clock just leaps ahead by a few hours.