Why does my computer detect my USB pen drive but not let me access files on it?
Question by PARTHIBAN Mech /

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

HI. PLZ help me what should i do..? My USB is recognize but it cant acess to open the usb derive and in properties 0 byte memory is shown and could not open? What should i do? It aslo cant formate//

• Philmore James

This keeps coming up on the screen. “There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc. This can happen if you remove the device or disc before the files have been written to it.”
    When you click scan and fix it just keep coming back.

• Nala Dimapunong

There are many reasons for that. Scan it first. It’s probably a virus. My pen drive sometimes does that, too. Try plugging it again, slowly of course. If still doesn’t work, try plugging it in other computers. Also, check your pen drive physically if there’s a “lock” on it. Some pen drives have those. You can always try using file explorers to check your files. Or, use the cmd option to check your files if they are still there.

• Angel

Me too. I can open the folder but I can’t see my files there. Only a shortcut. And that shortcut won’t open. And then, I checked the properties. I have disk used. Why is this so? And how do I fix it? :(

• John Conrad R. Arquillo

You have to search your files, its so difficult to find it because you have to remember the name of your folders or files

• Rexon Calub

You cant access your files? so you cant delete or add files on your USB?

if yes, then your usb is in write protected, try this vids

this may solve your problem, just read the Solution 2 on vids description.

• Dayaanand1

your flash drive may have some permissions preset and need to be reissued, also the drive may be locked by using some 3rd party encryption software.

• chamtih

My kingston usb pen visible my computer but not working.when i right click on pen cant see anything and stuck my computer , cant open pen, can not recognize pen
    to computer pls help me

• venkatp16

may be the drive got faulty…. or access permissions or something

• Dalsan

Some devices need to have permissions inherited, or given to the device to change, add, or delete items. Right click the drive letter, click properties, security, advanced, owner (tab), edit, choose your account from the list (or select from the Other Users or Groups button), select Replace Owner on subcontainers and objects. That will give you ownership on everything. Hour this helps.

• Gary

Many reasons could be causing this, most common are damaged file system (try it on another machine), or incompatible format. The latter is very common, and usually occurs when moving between FAT32, NTFS and MACs.