Why does my computer connect to the Internet via one connection but not another?

Anonymous June 17, 2014

Help! I have one for the books so to speak.
My personal computer was connecting to the internet via Shentel’s broadband with a hard wire connection. All was OK until one morning it would not connect to the internet.  Shentel took me through the whole process of checking my computer but nothing worked. They said all look good at their end. OK!
Here is the kicker. My work computer gets on the internet just fine via the same connection. Work computer gets online but not my personal computer and I didn’t make any changes to the computer.
Hold on! I go home to my house where we have a Optic Fiber high speed connection. My personal computer gets online! I go back to my apartment with the Shentel broadband hard wire and it will not get online. Has anyone experienced this type of problem? The only thing that might make sense is the my connection port on my personal computer in bad. HELP!!!

Bruce beat me to it again... These are two separate networks, and they may have significantly different setups. When you say "hard wired" do you mean that you connect with a network cable, as opposed to WiFI? In so, do you connect to Shentel via a router?

If it is a router, there are three possibilites:

1. It could be the router, or a port on the router. Try rebooting the router and also try another port (perhaps the one used by the working PC).
    2. It could be the cable. Again, try the one from your work computer.
    3. It could be your PC, but not necessarily a hardware fault. It could be a speed-negotiation issue (much more common that you'd think!), a driver issue (also surprisingly common), it could be a problem with Windows' settings for that network or finally, yes, it could be the network card.

One thing you could do to diagnose the network card is look in Device Manager and see if it reports any problem with the card. The other thing you could do is, with the PC at home, connect it to your home router with a cable and test it. That may give you a clue as to how it's doing (it could still be the speed negotiation thing though). Also, still at home, try to update the driver for your network card. Conversely, if it was update very recently, roll back to a previous version.

Let us know how you get on, and if the problem is not resolved, tell us what tests you did and whether the Shentel connection is through a modem or a router/modem.

Are you connecting via a router in the first instance? Are you doing the same on your home network (wired connection to router) or are you connecting via wireless? Are you showing an error with your Ethernet adapter in Device Manager? If not, what does your computer have for your network configuration (IP address, default gateway, etc.) when connecting to the Shentel broadband?