Is compressing a hard drive beneficial?
Question by Myke46 /

This may seem like a silly question, but the reason I’m asking is that while watching Auglostics Defraggler, I noticed some spaces between files and I am curious as to how they affect space on the hard drive and performance.

Would compressing the drive get rid of wasted space? Or would it just slow down the file-retrieval process?

By the way, I am running Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1 on a HP G72 notebook with 3GB DDR3 memory and currently have 256GB of free space.

In this day and age of ridiculously cheap GBs and multiple-TB hard disks, compression has no place. Sure you will save space, but everything you do on your computer will be slow as hell, excrutiatingly so. 

• Myke46

James,thanks to you and Mike for your responses.You clarified a couple of things for me.

Activating compression for the entire drive doesn’t get rid of those little spaces between files. It will just compress all files to save space.

Yes, it will slow down file access and therefor also increase start-up time of programs ~ in fact ~ some software won’t even run if they are compressed.

The only way to get rid of spaces between files is by using a defragmentation method designed to do this.