What is the best way to compress a file?

Pijush Gupta August 31, 2011

Recently I have downloaded “Visual Studio 2010 Express” from Microsoft’s site. The ISO image size is around 500 MB, which is burnable on a CD, which I did and it worked properly. When I extract that image (Visual Studio 2010 Express), it’s showing 1.5 GB in size, which would not fit on a CD. That means they (Microsoft) did some kind of ISO compression of anything else.

I have created an ISO Image with “XBOOT”, size is 5.6 GB. I don’t want to burn that ISO on 8.5 GB DVD. I want to compress that ISO file and wanna burn on a DVD with 4.7 GB of space. I have tried “Ultra ISO”, but it’s creating some weird image, not the Standard ISO. So is there any way to accomplish my mission? :)

PowerISO can compress ISO / BIN and other formats image file, and use the
    compressed file directly without decompressing
    http://www.poweriso.com/index.htm

• Pijush Gupta

Thanks ha 14,
      I think you got my problem, to some point. whatever i already used KGB archiver, what is worlds best archiver, unfortunately there is nothing to do with KGB with my problem.

The ISO image what i created, is bootable image. So i can't not split it.

Again, the ISO image size doesn't matter when burning to optical media.

The reason "valid" ISO images are uncompressed is because they should reflect the data which is going to be burned/written.

There are methods like duplicate suppression or simple compression algorithms to lower the ISO file size but when burning to a disk files will be uncompressed, duplicates created and the final size increases. The UFD used on optical media does not support any of it.

If you created an XBOOT image which contains 5.6GB uncompressed data you will need a media that fits 5.6GB uncompressed data. The only option to fit it to a single layer 4.7GB (4.37GiB) DVD is to reduce data like removing one boot option from XBOOT.

2. AkashD

Pijush,
            You can use Winrar to split your iso image into parts that can be written on a 4.7 GB DVD..
    1) Install winrar..
    2) Right click the iso image, and choose 'Add to archive...' from the context menu.
     This will open a winrar dialog..
    3) Under General tab, in the bottom left-hand corner, you'll be able to see a drop down menu with heading 'Split to volumes, bytes'
    4) Choose 'DVD+R: 4481 mb'
    5) Choose your compression method (Choose 'Store' if you are working with iso) from a drop down just above it. and click Ok..

Optical media use the Universal Disk Format which doesn't support compression. Therefor the only way to fit everything on single layer DVD is to reduce the actual content.

I'm not sure how Visual Studio extracted an image to 300% of it's original size since a valid ISO archive also contains uncompressed data. Even if it was a none "valid" ISO with compression it wouldn't matter since only the uncompressed data can be burned.