How can I compress a 6GB .ISO to 4GB or less?

Suhel April 5, 2012

I’m running low on space on my laptop right now. I have a few .iso files which I want to compress. I know Magicdisc, WinRAR and etc can do some compression but they only compress by a few hundred MB. I want to compress a 6gb .ISO file to at least 4GB (3GBwould be heavenly).

Is there any kind of magic software that would do this? Paid or Free doesn’t matter.

1. Suhel

Thanks to all the comments. I now know its not possible.

• Hiciano

Have you tried the ARC compression?

• Suhel

I don't know about it. Can you provide me with some info?

Hello, have you tried DVDShrink?  It can open ISO files and compressed them.  Keep in mind that quality suffers a bit when doing this....

http://www.dvdshrink.org/what_en.php

Suhel,
    Just to reinforce the point that others have made, you can compress certain types of material such as images, video or audio by using
    "lossy" compression, which trades off quality vs file size.
    However, non-lossy compression (that is, one where the re-expanded file is identical in every detail to the original) does not work well (or at all) on binary files which are already compressed such as .ISO files.

Depending on what the actual contents of the .ISO are, you probably won't get the kind of compression you want.  If it is a ripped movie or a lot of .jpg photos, you will get next to no compression, but if it is a large archive of uncompressed text documents, it can compress well and the tool used won't matter as much.  Your best bet for compression will still end up being either 7-Zip or WinRAR.

If it is a video .ISO, you can recode it into a smaller (lossy) file format to start with, or recode it for a different resolution to try to reduce the file size.

5. RayInLV

I don't think if it's compressed it will function as an ISO unless it is uncompressed.   So if your goal is to fit it onto a 4g accessible dvd it probably won't work.

• Suhel

actually the moderator changed the context of my question. the 6gb was just an example. All I want is to super compress any iso file. atleast if it any prgm can make an iso size to alteast 60% of its size.

Well if you want to keep iso intact perhaps with 7zip or KGBarchiver

PowerIso can do also but will change the file format to .daahttp://www.downloadatoz.com/poweriso/how-to-compress-an-existing-image-file.html

• Suhel

tried them all, none are able to have such high compression ration